Andhra food recipes are known for its spicy flavour. Andhra cooking is rich in spices. Some of the famous Andhra cuisines include biryani, pickles and chutneys and desserts.
Every state of India has its own specialty. Food from
Andhra Pradesh is famous for the rich seasoning and lots of variety. One
can get vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian food. Though the taste
changes from place to place because of the influence of other states,
the main features of Andhra food are: -
- Rice is the staple food of Andhra Pradesh because rice is produce
here in large quantity. Idli, dosa, vada and uttapam are made of
rice and are mostly consumed with rice for daily diet. There are
varieties in these also like there are sada dosa, masala dosa, rava
dosa, Rava idli, masala idle etc.
- There are many varieties of rice, which are cooked with spices,
vegetables and meat.
- Pesarattu has the feeling of upma eaten with chutney.
- Tamarind rice is very popular.
Vegetarian and non vegetarian
- The Andhra food is basically vegetarian, which is eaten on a
- In the coastal region fish is eaten with rice.
- They make use of all the vegetables but brinjal, potatoes and
tomatoes are quite popular.
- A lot of spices are produced in south region and hence Andhra
food is rich in spices.
- They make use of cinnamon and black pepper.
- They are seasoned with a lot of herbs and the curry is served
- Hydrabadi biryani is the specialty of hydrabad, which is seasoned
with vegetable and meat.
- It uses black pepper a lot.
- One can find the influence of Indian and mughal taste in the
Andhra food. A lot of variety is available in biryani.
- Kababs, keema and their types are also very popular.
Pickles and chutneys
- They are famous for some instant and preserved pickles.
- The chutneys (sauces) of chilly, ginger, coconut and other
vegetables are very popular.
- They are served with all the meals.
- They are very tasty, aromatic and spicy.
- Kheer and savayin are very famous which are specially made during
the month of ramzaan.
- Sweets made up of milk are widely eaten.
- Special sweets of almond, eggs, apricot, mangoes and other fruits
are equally popular.