Shahi Tukda – a royal fare. Easiest, quickest amazingly delicious Indian dessert. Whenever you have few days old bread lying around just make this pudding. Kids love it. It is super easy to make and requires very few ingredients.
Shahi Tukda Recipe | Indian Bread Pudding
Shahi tukda or tukra is a royal Indian dessert which can be made with minimum effort. It is nothing but crispy fried bread dipped in sugar syrup and served on a bed of rabri . It is a simple Indian Bread Pudding which is delicious. The deep fried crispy bread is mindblowing.
- Bread Slices
- Milk Powder
- Pista & Almonds
- 5 to 6 slices of bread (preferably 1 or 2 days old)
- Oil / ghee for frying
- 1 tblsp Chopped Pistachio (Pista)
- Sugar Syrup / Chashni:
- 1 cup Sugar
- 4 cups Water
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder (Elaichi Powder)
- For Rabri:
- 1 cup Water
- 3 tblsp Milk Powder
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
How to Make Shahi Tukda with Rabri :
- In a heavy bottom pan add 1 cup of water when it becomes lukewarm add 3 tblsp of milk powder.
- On low flame reduce the milk.
- Keep on simmering, stirring, removing the clotted cream and scraping.
- Switch off when the milk has reduced and become thickened.
- Add crushed saffron and cardamom powder.
- Mix well and keep aside to chill.
- Now to prepare the sugar syrup. Take one cup of sugar in a wide vessel and add four cups of water. Heat it and let the sugar dissolve.
- Add the elaichi powder to the syrup. Keep aside to cool while you fry the bread.
- Now cut the bread pieces into desried shape. You can cut triangular or even square.
- Heat the oil for frying and on medium flame fry the bread slices till crisp.
- You can even shallow fry them too.
- Assembling the Shahi Tukra:
- Take a platter, dip the bread slices in the sugar syrup.
- Evenly coat each bread slice with the sugar syrup.
- Take it out and place it on the serving platter.
- Coat each piece in sugar syrup and arrange them neatly on the platter.
- Next pour the rabri on the sugar syrup coated bread slices.
- Garnish with sliced pistachios.
- Serve the shahi tukra on a base of Rabri.