Shahi paneer is a typical NorthIndian dish eaten with roti or naan.Shahi paneer is preparation of paneer pieces in a thick, creamy and spicy gravy prepared in tomato, onion and cashewnuts paste. To give it a little spicy edge green chilis and brown cardamoms are added to it along with garam masala. Because of its richness it is usually served in parties, dinners and other occasions which require special menu. Here is a simple and easy recipe to make shahi paneer without cream.
Serves : 3- 4
Total Time: 1hr
250 gms Paneer (cut in cubes) How to make paneer
3 tbsp clarified butter
1 inch piece of ginger (finely chopped)
1 green chili (slit lengthwise)
1 onion (grated)
4 tomatoes (chopped)
2 brown cardamoms (crushed)
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup beaten curd
30 gms melon seeds or 2 tblsp cashew nut paste
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
3/4 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1/4 – 1/2 cup milk
1 tsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Soak the melon seeds or cashew nuts which ever you are taking for atleast 2 hrs and then grind them to a smooth paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a kadai, add onion, ginger, green chili and brown cardamoms.Cook till onion turns translucent. Add tomatoes, cover it and cook for 7-8 minute.
- Add curd and cashew nut or melon seeds paste. Cook for 3-4 minute and remove from fire.
- Cool down the above ingredients and put them in a grinder along with 1/2 cup of water.Strain the puree.
- Take a frying pan, add 1 tbsp of ghee and add the above pureed paste and cook for 10 minutes on low flame till oil separates.
- Add salt, red chili powder, cumin powder, garam masala and tomato sauce. Add enough water so that there can be thick gravy.
- Keep on low flame and cook for 5-7 minute. Remove from fire.
- At the time of serving heat the gravy and add paneer pieces.
- Add milk and mix well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Note: To make the dish more creamier you can replace milk with 1/4 cup cream.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.