Here is the famous Rajasthani Dal Bati recipe. Dal bati is the most popular food in the Rajasthani cuisine. It is the symbol of Rajasthani Aan, Baan & Shaan. Dal bati is generally accompanied with churma. The dal is the combination of five different dals with spices. And the bati is made of coarse whole wheat baked over fire or oven. Dal bati is served with dollops of ghee. It is a traditional meal of any Rajasthani household. This dish is generally prepared during festivals and special occasions. Lets learn how to make Rajasthani Dal Bati in microwave oven.Ingredients:
For Bati (dumplings):
1 cup Whole wheat flour
Salt as per taste
2 tblsp Suji
Ajwain a pinch
1/4 tsp Baking powder
Ghee 3 tbsp
2 cup Mixed dals (1/4 cup Moong Dal Dhuli, 1/4 cup Arhar Dal, 1/4 cup Chana Dal, 1/8 cup Slit Moong Dal ( Chilke Wali)1/8 cup Slit Urad Dal (Dhuli))
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
2 inch Ginger chopped
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Cumin seeds
Pinch of Hing/Asafoetida
2 broken Whole Dry Red Chilly
2 Green cardamoms
1 inch Cinnamon stick
2 Bay Leaves
5 – 6 Curry leaves
1 medium Onion 1 chopped roughly
2 medium Tomatoes
3 Green Chilly chopped
Salt to taste
4 tblsp Oil
1/4 cup Coriander Leaves chopped
1 Lemon Juice
How to make dal bati ki dal in microwave oven:
- Soak all the dals in about three cups of water for an hour. Boil the dals in cooker up to 3 whistles.
- Once done and mash them properly with the back of a round ladle.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, hing, dry red chillies, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, cardamoms, curry leaves and allow them to splutter and release their aroma.
- Add onions and saute till pink.
- Add the ginger, green chillies, tomatoes and red chilli powder. Sauté till the oil surfaces.
- Add the cooked dals to this and mix well till it blends properly. Allow to simmer till oil surfaces.
- Add juice of lemon and garnish with chopped green coriander.
How to make dal bati ki bati :
- In a large bowl mix all the above ingredients well, except water. The mixture should look like breadcrumbs.
- Now add water slowly and knead the dough into a tight dough. Keep it aside covered for 1/2 hour.
- After half an hour, make round balls of equal size of the entire dough. Press each ball slightly from the middle and make it like pedas.
- Grease a baking tray with ghee and place each bati on it.
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg and place the tray to bake for 45 minutes.
- After about 15 minutes check your batis. If a light brown color is acquired, flip the Batis on the other side to bake. Since they are in the shape of balls, they will take time to bake.Once the batis are baked from both sides to a nice brown colour, remove them from the oven.
- Take about 1/2 cup of ghee in a bowl, and soak each bati in the ghee for a few seconds, remove and place them in a serving dish.
- You can omit this step. Instead add some drops of ghee on top while baking. Serve with dal, sabji or kadhi.
How to serve dal bati:
- Warm the dal again till piping hot.
- Break 2 -3 batis into pieces in a serving dish and pour 1 tblsp melted ghee evenly over it. Pour 1/4 of the dal evenly over it.
- Sprinkle 2 tblsp of onions and 1/2 tsp lemon juice evenly over it.