Here is the gongura mutton curry andhra style recipe. It is a very popular Andhra mutton curry. Sorrel leaves mutton curry is a spicy curry with the distinctive taste of gongura or sorrel leaves. Gongura is known by many names across the country- in Marathi it is called Ambadi and in Assamese it is called Tenga Mora. Gongura or sorrel leaves has rich iron content and has a tangy flavour. Lets learn how to make Gongura mutton curry Andhra style.
Gongura Mutton Ingredients:
1/2 kg lamb meat, cleaned and cut into pieces
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
10 cloves of garlic
1/2 inch piece of ginger
For the curry
3 tblsp cooking oil
4 cloves (laung)
4 whole green cardamoms (hari ilaichi)
2 bay leaves
1 large cinnamon stick
200 g gongura leaves
1 large onion thinly chopped
1 stem large curry leaves
How to make gongura mutton Andhra style:
- Boil the mutton and ginger garlic with some salt in a pressure cooker.
- Fish out the ginger garlic and make a paste of it and keep aside.
- Now in a pan heat oil and add all the whole spices.
- Once they start spluttering, add the ginger garlic paste, green chilies and then the onions.
- Sauté till it becomes pink in color and then add the gongura leaves, curry leaves and all the ground spices and salt.
- Sauté till the oil is separated from the mixture.
- Now add the meat pieces and sauté for five minutes so that they get well wrapped with the spices paste.
- Then add water for curry and boil till it thickens
- Garnish with fresh coriander or mint leaves and serve Gongura mutton Andhra style with rice.