Here is a home cooking recipe for Gongura chicken curry . A spicy fiery chicken curry with the distinctive taste of Gongura or sorrel leaves. Gongura is a sharp, tangy saag which is super rich in vitamin C, iron, zinc and calcium. Gongura is quite a favourite with Andhraites. They use it in dals, curries of all sorts with chicken, lamb and in chutney as well. You can serve this super tasty and delicious chicken curry with piping hot rice, rasam and papad.
Gongura Chicken Ingredients:
1/2 kg chicken, cleaned and cut into pieces
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
10 cloves of garlic
1/2 inch piece of ginger
For the curry
3 tblsp cooking oil
4 cloves (laung)
4 whole green cardamoms (hari ilaichi)
2 bay leaves
1 large cinnamon stick
200 g gongura leaves
1 large onion thinly chopped
1 stem large curry leaves
How to make gongura chicken home style:
- Boil the chicken and ginger garlic with some salt in a pressure cooker.
- Fish out the ginger garlic and make a paste of it and keep aside.
- Now in a pan heat oil and add all the whole spices.
- Once they start spluttering, add the ginger garlic paste, green chilies and then the onions.
- Sauté till it becomes pink in color and then add the gongura leaves, curry leaves and all the ground spices and salt.
- Sauté till the oil is separated from the mixture.
- Now add the chicken pieces and sauté for five minutes so that they are well wrapped with the spices paste.
- Then add water for curry and boil till it thickens
- Garnish with fresh coriander or mint leaves and serve gongura chicken with rice.