Here is mamidikaya pappu home cooking recipe. This is a very simple mango dal Andhra style preparation but you will simply love its tangy taste. It is very easy to make. The tangy flavours helps beat the scorching summer Andhra afternoons. Learn how to make mamidikaya pappu Andhra style.
1/2 cup Toor Dal / Arhar Dal
2 Dry Red Chillies
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 tsp Sambhar Powder
1/4 tsp Hing
Salt To Taste
1 medium Raw Mango
3 -4 Garlic pods
1 tsp Mustard Seeds(Rai)
1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
1 Sprig Curry Leaves
2 tsp Oil / Ghee
1 tblsp Green Coriander Chopped
How to make Andhra mamidikaya pappu
- Peel the raw mango and chop it into small pieces.
- Wash the dal and pressure cook the dal along with chopped onion, chopped raw mango, turmeric powder and salt. After 1 whistle lower the flame and let the dal cook in the pressure cooker for 10 minutes. If using pan then cook till soft or mushy.Switch off the flame and let the pressure release completely before proceeding further.
- Now that the dal is cooked add little water if required. The dal should be little runny or watery. Add sambhar powder and let it simmer for 5 minutes on low flame.
- Dish out the dal in a bowl and then begin tempering.
- For tempering heat ghee or oil in a pan and then add mustard seeds. As they begin to crackle add cumin seeds and then finally add chopped garlic and hing. When the garlic turnes light brown in color add the curry leaves and the whole red chillies. Cook for 30 secs and then pour over the dal.
- Sprinkle chopped green corinader and cover for 5 – 10 minutes to retain the smell of tadka.
- Later serve hot mamidikaya pappu with roti or rice.