Kandi Podi Andhra style is what the rest of the world refers to as ‘GUN POWDER’ ! It is a must in each and every Andhra household. Kandi pappu ( Tuvar dal) being the key ingredient. Very simple to make and rich in protein. A dry chutney or mix of mixed lentils and curry leaves. A wonderful and tasty Podi recipe from Andhra which is eaten with hot rice and a generous dollop of ghee.
1 1/2 cup Split Pigeon ( Tuvar Dal)
1 cup Yellow Moong Dal
1/2 cup Chana Dal
10 whole Dried Red Chillies
1/2 tblsp Black Pepper Corns )
1 tblsp Jeera (Cummin)
1 – 2 big pinches Hing
Salt to Taste
How to make kandi podi andhra style:
- Dry roast the dals one at a time on a low flame till they are a lovely golden brown. Too light and the will be raw inside and too dark and they will turn bitter. This is the most essential step.
- Dry roast the red chillies and the peppercorns too.
- Do not roast the jeera.
- Add the hing to the bowl of roasted dals.
- Mix all in a bowl and cool.
- Put everything except the jeera into a mixer jar and grind to a coarse powder. Half way through add the jeera and salt and continue till it reaches a uniformly coarse powder. Check for salt and adjust.
- Tip: If adding garlic cloves then dry roast them and add when adding the jeera. Also if adding garlic omit the hing.