Here is a Ugadi Pachadi recipe. All the Ugadi Pachadi ingredients have a meaning. This pachadi is a must on Andhra New Year day. This is a sweet and sour pachadi or chutney made of tantalizing ingredients like raw mango, tamarind, jaggery and neem flowers. There are no exact measures. Every thing is approximate.
Ugadi is the first day of New Year in Andhra, Karnataka, Telangana and celebrated as Gudipadwa in Maharashtra. Ugadi Pachadi recipe symbolizes the six tastes and emotions in life.
Ingredients of Andhra Ugadi Pachadi represent following Emotions –
- Jaggery And Banana Pieces – Sweetness – Happiness
- Neem Flowers – Bitterness – Sadness
- Green Chillies – Hot – Anger
- Salt – Salty – Fear
- Tamarind – Sour – Disgust
- Raw Mango – Tang – Surprise
2-1/4 tsp Neem Flower
4 tsp chrushed Jaggery (Gur)
one small lemon size ball of Tamarind made into thick tamarind water (Imli)
1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds(Rai Dana)
Salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1 tbsp finely chopped Raw Mango (Kachcha Aam)
1 cup water
How to make ugadi pachadi:
- First add the raw mango pieces to the tamarind water and bring it to boil.
- Boil it till mango pieces are tender
- Now to this add jaggery and let it cook till it melts and blends into the mixture
- Remove from heat and keep aside
- Now in a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds let them splutter, add neem flower and fry till light brown
- Now add chilli powder and salt
- Mix well
- Take this neem flower tadka and add it to the tamarind and mango juice
- Serve in small quantities as an accompaniment to the main course food.
- Enjoy the Ugadi Pachadi..