Jeera rice is a very easy and versatile rice dish which is tempered with jeera (cumin seeds). It has a subtle taste which enchances the flavor of other main course dishes like Dal Makhani, Shahi Paneer, Rajma and chole. Even plain jeera rice with dal tadka and boondi raita is a great combo. Jeera rice is a great option when you do not want to make any elaborate rice dish like pulao or biryani. It is liked by all age groups.
Jeera Rice Recipe In English | Restaurant Style Jeera Rice
- Deep pot / Kadhai
- Basmati Rice
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- Ghee / Oil
- 1 cup Rice
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1-2 tbsp Desi Ghee/ Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
How to Make Jeera Rice :
- Wash the rice 3 times with plain water and soak them in water for 30 mins.
- Now in a flat surface kadhai or any vessel which has good surface area on medium flame add ghee.
- Then add jeera and then add 1 1/4 cup water to it.
- Let the water boil. When the water has begins to boil add the soaked rice. Do not add the water in which the rice was soaked. Discard that water. Now cover with lid and cook on Low Flame for 12-15 mins only. Switch off the flame and let it rest for 5 mins and your jeera rice are cooked.
- Important Tips: 1. Once the rice is cooked stir it with the help of a fork. This will help separate each grain. Keep the lid open once the rice is cooked otherwise the steam will further cook the rice.
2. It is always preferable to cook the rice closer to the time of serving.
3. Serve hot with Dal Tadka or Rajma or Dal Makhani.
Side dish Options – What To Serve With Jeera Rice :
- Gravy: Dal Tadka, Rajma, Chole, Punjabi Kadhi.
- Dry/Semi-Dry: Aloo Shimla, Paneer Aloo Pyaaz, Sukhe Kale Chane, Aloo Jeera Restaurant style
- Pickle: Serve with
- Curd: Serve with
- Salad: Koshambari Salad.
Storage Tips :
- Jeera rice can be stored in an airtight container in fridge for 2 – 3 days. After that there is a probability of it getting spoilt. If the rice feels sticky and mushy thats the sign that the jeera rice has spoiled.
Reheating Tips :
There are three ways to reheat the jeera rice.
Microwave: To reheat the rice in microwave just take out the rice in a microwave proof dish and microwave first for 2 mins and then take out the dish and toss the rice and then microwave again for 2 more mins.
In a pan on Gas Stove: Reheating the rice in a pan is slightly tricky. On a low heat put on rice in a pan and then sprinkle some water on it and then cover the pan with the lid. After 2 mins toss them and if need be sprinkle some water again. Cover again and cook for 2 – 3mins again. If you feel that the rice is sticky then before you begin add some oil/butter and then place the rice. This will ensure that the rice do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
In the Oven: You can reheat the rice in the oven too. Put some rice in a baking or oven proof dish. Now sprinkle some 1 tblsp of water on them and then cover the dish with an aluminum foil and then bake at 150 degrees for 10 – 15 mins or till the rice gets reheated.