Jeera rice or cumin rice goes well with most of the North Indian recipes. Punjabi jeera rice is simple and easy to make and tastes awesome.
Serves : 2 -3
Total time : 50 mins
Jeera Rice Ingredients:
1 cup Long grain Basmati rice
2 tsp Jeera (cumin seeds)
1 Bay leaf
1 Cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp Ghee
1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
2 cups of water
Salt To Taste
How to make punjabi jeera rice:
- Wash the rice 2 -3 times and soak in water for half an hour.
- Heat ghee in a heavy vessel add bayleaf, cloves, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds and let the cumin seeds sputter.
- Drain water from the rice and add to the vessel. Add salt, water and stir well. Bring it to a boil and then cover with a lid and lower the flame.
- Cook for 10 – 15 minutes or until the rice is done and water has evaporated. Note: 1. Once the rice is cooked stir it with the help of a fork. This will help separate each grain. 2. Keep the lid open otherwise the steam will further cook the rice.3. It is preferable to cook the rice closer to the time of serving.
- Serve jeera rice hot with any spicy curry or raita.