Most of the Indian dishes calls for plain rice recipe. Cooking plain rice can be sometimes very tricky and daunting task especially for a beginner in Indian cooking. How much water to use, how much time to cook, how many whistles if using pressure cooker and so many other queries. Rest now beacuse here is the recipe to make plain rice in Pan, Pressure Cooker and Microwave. Choose whichever way suits you.
Total Time: 15 mins
- 1 cup Rice
- 3 cups Water
- 1 tsp Oil (optional)
- 1 tsp Salt (optional)
- Few Drops of Lemon (optional)
How to make plain rice 3 ways :
How to Soak Rice:
No matter whatever process you take to cook rice Soaking is the most essential part. It is not necessary but in case of Basmati rice it ensures best perfectly cooked rice.
- Put rice in a wide bowl and rinse them 2 – 3 times with water. Now add water and keep them aside for soaking.
- For every 1 cup of rice we can use 3 1/2 to 4 cups of water for soaking. Soaking is usually done for minimum 20 mins to 30 mins.
Boiled Rice In A Pan:
- For every 1 cup of water we use 10 – 12 cups of water .
- Heat 10 – 12 cups of water in a wide pan when it starts to get boiling, drain the water from the soaked rice and just put rice in boiling water. Add 1 teaspoon of oil (optional) and 1 tsp of regular salt (optional). Let the rice boil in it for 10 – 12 mins on medium flame.
- To check for doneness – take out a grain of rice on your finger and try to mash it. If it is soft immediately switch off the flame.
- Once the rice is cooked strain it in a colander and let the water drain out. Let it stand like that 5 – 10 mins and then gently dish out the rice to a serving bowl. Fluff the rice with a fork.
- Important Tips:
1. Do not put rice in cold water. Always wait for the water to reach the boiling point before adding rice.
2. It is important not stir the rice again and again as this will break the rice grain.
3. Adding oil is optional put it ensures that the grains do not stick together.
Rice in a Pressure Cooker:
- Cooking rice in a pressure cooker requires some trial and error. As the final outcome depends upon the type of rice used – Basmati, Punni, Boiled, Biryani etc. All rice varieties use different ratio of water. Here we are giving a generic ratio.
- For 1 cup of rice we use 2 1/2 – 3 cups of water.
- Soak the rice as described above.
- Then put 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker and add rice and salt.
- Close the lid and let the cooker blow whistles.
- After 2 whistles and just before the 3rd one switch off the flame.
- Do not remove the whistle/ weight immediately. But let it come down to room teparature on its own before opening the lid.
Cook Rice in a Microwave Oven
- Cooking rice in a microwave oven is very convenient when time is short. It is easy too.
- It is Important to always use Microwave Proof dishes only in the microwave.
- For 1 cup of rice we need 2 1/4 cup of water
- Again trial and error is needed to find that perfect amount of water.
- Rinse the rice with water 2 – 3 times and then soak them for 20 mins.
- Now put the water, a teaspoon salt(optional), 1 tsp oil (optional) andrice in a bowl and place it in the microwave. Do not cover the bowl with lid.
- Set the Power to 700 watts and time 15 mins.
- Note: The amount of time that it takes to cook 1 cup rice depends on the Power Setting. Higher the power lower the time and vice versa.
- When the rice gets cooked all the water will get dried and the size of the rice grain will also increase.
- Switch off the microwave and leave the rice bowl untouched in the microwave for 5 minutes undisturbed.
- Then fluff the rice with a fork and serve it hot.
- You can add 2 – 3 lemon drops also to get whiter rice.
- Salt and oil are optional. Oil ensures that the rice grains do not stick together.