Here is a very easy matar pulao recipe which can be made by any one in a jiffy. It is a simple recipe to follow. Beginners in Indian cooking, bachelors or young people starting out new the Indian cooking domain will find it easy and a life saver. Matar pulao goes well with any kind of curry or dal. The sweetness of peas with flavoured jeera just makes it simply irrestible. Just load some mango pickle, dahi and roasted papad and a sumptious meal is ready.
Do read the notes given to get that perfect pulao or else the pulao will turn mushy. I have given water proportions for both the methods – using pressure cooker and using a pan.
To get a perfectly non sticky pulao make sure to add oil and frying the rice for a minute or two as it helps separate the grains.
Having said that to get that perfect non sticky pulao you have to keep trying the various proportions fo water and rice. As a lot depends on the quality and kind of rice you are using. Happy Cooking !!!!
Total Time: 15 mins + 20 mins Soaking Time
Serves: 2 – 3
- 1 cup rice soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 1 onion sliced thinly
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 1/2 cup water (Read Note)
- 100 gms peas
- Ghee or oil
- Heat oil/ ghee in a pressure cooker on a medium flame.
- Add the jeera and once it starts to get brown immediately add sliced onions. Note: Make sure the oil is not too hot or the jeera will burn and will give bitter taste to the entire matar pulao.
- Tip in the salt and cook the onions till slighly brown. Keep stirring ocasionally to brown the onions evenly.
- Mix in the peas and saute for 2 minutes.
- Now add the strained rice and fry the rice for a minute or two. This helps to make the pulao non sticky.
- Now add 1 1/2 bowls of water.
- Pressure cook till 1 whistle only.
- Take off heat and open the lid only after all the steam is released on its own.
- NOTE : The amount of water used depends a lot on the type of technique you are using.
If you are using a Pressure Cooker, then use 1 1/2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice. Turn it off after 1 whistle, & leave it on the hot stove till the pressure comes down.
If you are using a Pan, use 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice. First bring it to a boil then when the rice absorbed quite a bit it of water then lower the heat, cover and cook for another 5mins.It should totally take 15 mins.In-between check oncethis will help you to get fluffy matar pulao.
Most important thing while taking out the pulao from the cooker is to use a LIGHT Hand. Remove the rice from the cooker very gently.Matar or Peas Pulao Goes Well with / Serve With:
- Dal Tadka / Simple Dal / Dal Makhani
- Raita – Mix Veg / Boondi Raita
- Punjabi mango pickle, papad and any raita
- Chicken Curry
- Mutton Curry / Onion Salad
- Green Dhaniya Chutney