Kosambari is a very delicious and protein rich salad. Carrot moong dal kosambari or koshambari is a Karnataka local delicacy. The freshness and bright colors of the kosambari adds life to any meal. The crunchy coconut and the curry leaves tadka makes this salad refreshing. If you are health conscious or simply want to add more fibre and color to your diet then this kosambari recipe is definitely a must try. I am pretty sure it will become a regular in your everyday meals. It works very well as a side dish or even an evening snack too when you just want to eat something tangy and salty. Here is the recipe for kosambari in English.
Serves : 1 – 2
Total Time: 2 hrs + 10 mins
Ingredients For Kosambari :
- 1 1/2 cup Grated Carrot
- 1/2 cup Yellow Moong Dal
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Coconut
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 Chopped Green chillies
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds (Rai)
- Pinch of hing
- One spring of curry leaves
- 1 – 2 tblsp chopped Coriander (Hara Dhania)
How to make carrot moong dal kosambari in english :
- Wash and soak the yellow moong dal for 2 – 3 hours.
- When it is time to prepare the kosambari, drain the dal in a colander / sieve.
- In a big bowl, add the grated carrot, coconut , yellow soaked dal and chopped coriander.
- Mix all the ingredients lightly.
- Now add the oil in a tadka pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds begin to crackle add the hing, curry leaves and chopped green chillies.
- Pour it over the dal – vegetable mixture. Mix well.
- Leave it aside for 15 – 20 minutes for the dal and vegetables to absorb the flavours of the tadka.
- Serve this carrot moong dal kosambari as a side or relish it as a salad.