Who says when you are Dieting you have to have unappealing boring food. Here is a very easy to make yet Tasty and Filling salad recipe. When we are dieting or in weight managemet mode finding delicious low calorie recipes is difficult. It is important that the food we eat should not only be delicious but should be visually appealing too. And this Mexican Red Beans Salad is not only healthy but super sumptious too.
During our weight loss spree it is very difficult to cook just for your self. You are either running low on time or some times you just dont want to cook different for your own self. So here is a salad recipe which not only you can consume but with minor changes everybody in the family can relish. There are some tips and suggestions given in the end. The best part is that you can use leftover boiled Rajma.
This Red Bean Salad is like a complete meal and very filling and yet low in calorie. The beans provide the necessary protein and carbohydrate and the vegetables provide the fibre. All the vegetables like capsicum, lettuce, cucumber are low in calories and aid in weight loss.
The good thing about this salad is that you can prepare the beans/rajma paste, hung curd dip and the dresing well in advance and keep the vegetables chopped in an air tight container and use them on need basis. When ever you need the salad simply assemble the ingredients, pour the dressing and gorge in.
This salad keeps you full for pretty long time. But it is IMPORTANT: to remember to keep the Rajma/ Bean paste portion small in size. A major part of the salad should be chopped vegetables.
Ideally this salad should be consumed in lunch or evening snack.The beans/rajma might get gastric or acidic in case you consume it late night.
Total Time: 15 min + over night soaking
For Rajma Layer:
- 1/2 cup / 50 gms Rajma (Kidney Beans)
- 1 Onion medium fine chopped
- 1/2 tsp minced Garlic
- 1 Green Chilly chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- 1/2 tsp Oregano (according to taste)
- 1 tblsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tblsp Tomato Puree
- 1/2 tsp Oil
- Salt to Taste
For Salad Layer:
- 1 medium Onion thick cubes
- 1/2 Capsicum cut into cubes
- 1 medium Avocado Chopped (Optional)
- 1/2 Cucumber deseeded and cubed
- 2 tblsp Boiled Sweet Corn
- 1 tblsp Black Olives Chopped
- Half cup Shredded Lettuce (as desired)
- Optional: 1/4 cup Chopped fresh pineapple
For Salad Dressing:
- Salad Dressing:
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tblsp Vinegar/ lemon juice
- Salt to Taste
For Curd Layer:
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 1 garlic Pod minced
- Salt to taste
To Prepare Rajma Layer:
- Wash and soak the rajma overnight. In the morning drain the water and pressure cook them in 1 cup water for 2-4 whistles and later for 10 minutes on low flame.
- Let the pressure release on its own. Drain the water, mash them a little and then keep it aside.
- In a pan heat the oil and add the minced garlic. When slightly pink add the chopped onion and green chilly. Let it stir fry till little pinkish in color. Now add the tomato puree, salt, oregano, tomato ketchup and red chilly.
- Let it simmer till the puree thickens with ocassional stir.
- Now add the mashed kidney beans.And mix well. Check for seasoning.
- Once thick switch off the flame.
To Prepare Salad Layer:
- Mix all the ingredients of the salad dressing and keep aside.
- Put all the chopped vegetables in a bowl and just before serving pour the dressing over the salad.
To Prepare Curd Layer:
- Hang the curd in a muslin cloth or in a thin strainer till all the water drain out.
- Then put it in a bowl and whisk smooth and then add salt, minced garlic and then keep it aside for some time.
To Assemble The Salad Platter:
- When it time to serve, put the salad on a platter and then add the rajma mashed mixture on it and then finally pour the curd dressing.
- Garnish it with red chilly flakes and chopped green coriander and few olives.
TIPS/ SUGGESTIONS ON MEXICAN BEANS SALAD:
- You can add fresh pineapple pieces to add more zing to the salad.
- In case you are preparing for your family members and kids you can add grated amul cheese and serve it with Nachos.
- You can stuff this salad in a wrap and make a delicious and complete meal for kids.
- In case you are a vegetarian you can add grilled chicken to the salad.
- Also to increase the protein simply add some cubed paneer pieces.
- To make the Curd Dip more creamier you can add 1 tblsp of fresh cream.