Upma is popular breakfast dish. Low calorie upma is made by dry roasting the sooji and then cooking in boiled water.Learn how to make low fat upma by following this easy recipe.
Serves : 2
Cooking time : 15 mins
- 1/2 cup semolina (sooji)
- 1/2 inch ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 green chili (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp black mustard seed
- 1 tsp black gram
- 1 tsp Bengal gram
- Few curry leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Heat a pan and dry roast the sooji on a low flame till a nice aroma comes out. Take out on a plate. Make sure the sooji does not get too brown.
- Note: You can keep the suji roasted in advance in an airtight container.
- Now heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan, add curry leaves and mustard seed. When the mustard seeds starts to crack add chana dal and urad dal and green chili. Fry it for few minutes.
- Add onions and fry till it is translucent. Add ginger and saute for 2 min then add salt and 1/2 cup of water to it and let the water boil. Then add sooji gradually.
- Note: You can even add some chopped vegetables like carrot, beans and cauliflower. Saute them with giner.
- Keep stirring it continously so that no lumps are formed.
- Cover it for few seconds and let it cook till it starts to get pulpy. Turn off the heat and at last add lemon juice and mix it well.
- Garnish upma with coriander leaves.