Eating healthy is the need for today. But with so much to do sometimes healthy cooking takes a back seat. But one is constantly feeling guilty about it. So here is one such recipe – the very humble khatta metha kaddu ki sabji. A real Time Saver recipe.
It is easy and quick to cook and at the same time it is delicious and nutritious too. It is perfect for lunch or dinner or for that matter even breakfast if served with some paratha or Methi Puri. It can be part of tiffin or lunch too. You can further reduce the time by precutting the kaddu or pumpkin well in advance.
The key here to make it low calorie sabji is to use minimum oil. So use a measuring teaspoon and use 1/2 teaspoon oil. Just enough to let the jeera seeds sputter. Rest of the cooking is done by adding little water.
Let’s take a look at how dry pumpkin sabji Indian style is made.
Khatta Meetha Kaddu | Puri Wala Kaddu | Sweet Kaddu
- Kaddu (Pumpkin)
- Adrak (Ginger)
- Gur/Chinni (Jaggery/Sugar)
- 500 gms Kaddu (Pumpkin)
- A pinch of Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1/2 tsp Oil
- 1 inch Adrak (Ginger) julienned
- 1/2 tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1/2 tsp Methi Dana (Fenugreek Seeds)
- 2 Medium size Green Chillies (Slit Lengthwise)
- 1/2 tsp Haldi powder (Turmeric Powder)
- 1 tsp Dhania Powder (Coriander Powder)
- 1 tsp Lal Mirch Powder (Red Chilly)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Gur (Jaggery) powder
- 1 tblsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tblsp Chopped Green Corainder (Hara Dhania)
How to make Khatta Meetha Kaddu/Sweet and Salted Pumpkin :
- Peel the pumpkin and wash it. Chop it into 1/2 inch pieces. Keep aside.
- Now in a heavy bottom pan/kadai, heat oil add asafeotida and jeera and let jeera sputter.
- Now add methi dana and julienned ginger. Fry it for a minute and then add green chillies.
- Add turmeric, red chilly and coriander powder and a tablespoon of water as not to burn the masala.
- Immediately add kaddu pieces and salt. Mix properly. Add ¼ cup water, cover and cook on medium flame till the kaddu pieces get soft and mashed.
- If need be add a tablespoon of water and let the kaddu cook in its own steam. Remember not to add too much water or the sabji will lose its crunch.
- It should take 10 – 15 minutes depending upon the quality of the pumpkin. Keep stirring it occasionally and if need be keep adding a tablespoon of water till fully done.
- Once fully cooked add the gur(jaggery). Let it dissolve completely and then switch off the flame.
- Finally add the lemon juice and chopped green coriander.
Tips and Tricks: It is important to remember to add lemon juice once the flame is switched off or the lemon gives bitter taste to the sabji.
Side dish Options – What to Serve with Khatta Meetha Kaddu/Sweet and Salted Pumpkin :
Storage Tips :
- Cool the dish quickly after cooking, ideally within an hour, and keep in airtight containers in the fridge. Do not let it be lying around for hours as it may invite bacteria.
- Do not overload the container
- If you plan to store, keep it slightly under-cooked for freezing.
- Do not freeze the same food over and over.
- Can be kept for two to three days in the refrigerator
Reheating Tips :
Dish is generally best reheated at the place it was cooked.
Microwave: Pour a little bit of water or oil to retain the moisture in the dish. Try to cover it with a microwave safe lid. Reheat it for 2 mins in microwave.
Best way to reheat is to start with reheating for 20 seconds, take it out, add sprinkle water or oil a bit, and reheat again in microwave for another 1-2 mins.
Put a half cup filled of water next to the dish to soak up extra moisture.
Stovetop: Keep heat low to avoid overcooking.
Before placing dish in the pan, add a bit of oil or butter of your choice
For more moisture, cover the pan with a lid
Flip and stir it regularly to avoid the dish sticking to the pan
Cook on low heat for evenly cooking.