Here is an easy gajar matar ki sukhi sabji recipe. This sabji is a winter special in North India when there is fresh juicy gajar available in abundance. This is a gajar matar recipe punjabi style which is relished with makki ki roti and mooli salad and lassi by the Punjabis. The vibrant orange color of the carrots and addition of green matar makes it beautiful scene. Lets learn how to make gajar matar ki sukhi sabji the easy way.
- 500 gms Gajar (Carrots)
- 250 gms Matar (Peas)
- 1/2 tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1/4 tsp Haldi (Turmeric)
- 1 tsp Dhania Powder (Coriander Powder)
- 1 tsp Lal MIrch (Red Chilly Powder)
- 1 Pinch Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1/2 tsp Amchoor Powder (optional)
- 1 tblsp Oil / Ghee
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
How to make gajar matar sabji Punjabi style:
- Peel the gajar and after washing cut them into 1/2 inch cubes or roundels your choice. Make sure the pieces are not too small otherwise the whole sabji gets mushy.
- Heat oil/ ghee in a kadhai and add the jeera and hing.
- Once the jeera begins to splutter add haldi powder and then chopped gajar and matar.
- Let the gajar and matar cook for 3 – 4 mins and then add salt. Stir well, cover and cook till the gajar and matar are done and soft.
- Now add red chilly powder, dhania powder and mix well with a gentle hand.
- If you want you can also amchoor powder now and cook for some more time.
- Once you switch off the flame sprinkle some crushed dried kasoori methi on top.
- This gajar matar ki sukhi sabji goes very well roti and parantha, mooli salad and fresh green chutney It is a perfect side dish with dal.
Tips for making delicious gajar matar ki sukhi sabji: