Rajma chawal is a simple yet delicious meal. Rajma is rich and iron and protein when it is combined with rice it is a great source of carbohydrates. So it makes a wholesome meal. It is great meal for kids lunch box too as it one of the favorite dish among the kids. Here is the punjabi style rajma chawal recipe in English.
Serves : 4 – 5
Preparation time : 40 – 45 mins
Rajma Chawal Ingredients List:
Ingredients for Rajma :
1 cup red kidney beans (soaked overnight)
2 onions (finely chopped)
6 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 tbsp ginger (grated)
2 green chilies (finely chopped)
2 tomatoes (grated)
1 tbsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
1 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
1 tsp butter
1 tbsp oil
Ingredients for rice
1 cup rice
3-4 cups of water
1 tsp salt
How to make rajma chawal punjabi style:
Method for making Rajma:
- Take a pan, add 3 cups of water along with soaked kidney beans and a pinch of salt. Cook for 20 to 30 minute till the beans is soft and tender.
- Take a small bowl add all the spices, chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt and pepper. Mix all the spices well.
- Take a kadai, heat oil in it. Add the chopped onions; cook for 7-8 minute until onions turns golden brown in color.
- Add the garlic and green chili, cook for a minute.
- Then add ginger and tomatoes and the spice mixture from the bowl. Cook for 7-8 minute till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the cooked rajma along with butter and one cup of water. Let it cook for 30 minutes on the low flame.(if the rajma is cooked for more time it becomes more tastier as all the spices gets into it).
- Take it out in a serving bowl and garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with plain rice.
Method for making rice
- Wash the rice properly and keep aside.
- Take a pan, add water to it. Let it boil.
- When water starts to boil, add rice and salt. Cook for 15 minute and then reduce the heat let it cook till the rice in completely soft but not mushy.
- Switch off the heat and drain the starch water by pouring the rice and water over colander.
- Transfer the rice in a bowl.
- Serve hot.