Punjabi wadi chawal is an interesting Punjabi recipe, which is a complete meal in itself. The spicy Punjabi wadi and rice combination is simply tongue tickling. It is a lifesaver on days when you simply cannot think of what to make !!! The best part of wadiyon wale chawal is that it can not only be relished as it is but can act as a main curry with rotis. In our Punjabi household we use it as curry. And to make it more interesting we garnish it with plain crunchy boondi on the top. Follow the recipe and learn how to make Punjabi wadi chawal.
Serves : 3- 4
Total Time: 1hr
- 20 grams Rice (any broken, leftover rice would be perfect)
- 1 big piece Urad Dal Wadi
- 1 medium Onion garted
- 1 tsp Haldi (Turmeric)
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder (Dhania Powder)
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Dry Kasori Methi
- Salt to taste
- 1 tblsp Ghee / Oil
How to make Punjabi wadiyon wale chawal:
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker, on low flame fry the wadi till golden brown and crispy. It is important fry on low flame. On high flame the wadi will become brown from outside but will give raw taste later. Also keep stirring till the wadi is not golden. Then remove it on a tissue paper and break wadi in small 2 -3 pieces.
- In the remaining oil add the jeera, when it begins to splutter add the grated onion.
- Stir fry on medium flame till the onions become golden. This may take some time.
- Note: If the wadi is very very spicy then adjust the dry masalas accordingly.
- Then add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, red chilly powder and salt. Add a tablespoon of water so that the masala does not get burnt.
- Then add the rice, wadi and 2 – 3 cups of water.
- Stir well and put the lid on and let the rice cook for 6 – 7 whistles.
- Let the pressure release naturally and then open it and add crushed kasoori methi.
- Your Punjabi wadi chawal is ready to be served. You can relish it with curd, mango pickle and even with roti.
Note: You can make it in a pan too but it is definetly going to take extra time.