Here is lobia curry Punjabi style . This curry is part of every day Punjabi cooking. It tastes best when served with rice, raita and salad. Lets learn how to make lobia curry Punjabi style.
Serves : 4
Preparation Time : 30 – 40 minute
Ingredients for Lobia curry:
1 cup Lobia/black eyed beans
1/2 inch piece Ginger (Adrak) chopped
4 Garlic (Lahsun) pod chopped
1 medium sized Onion (Pyaz) chopped
1 green chili chopped
2 tomatoes chopped
1 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp pepper powder (optional)
2 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
1/4 tsp red chilli powder
4 and half cups of water
1 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
How to make Punjabi style lobia curry:
- Soak the lobia overnight or for atleast 3-4 hours.
- In a pressure cooker or pressure pan, heat oil.
- When they start to sizzle, add the onions.
- Fry the onions till they become transparent. Now add the chopped ginger-garlic-chili. Fry till the raw smell of the ginger and garlic disappear.
- Add the tomatoes and stir fry the masala till the tomatoes become soft and the entire tomato-onion mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan or cooker.
- Add the garam masala powder.
- Now add the soaked lobia. Stir well. Add water, salt and pressure cook till the lobia is cooked. I cooked it for 4-5 whistles
- The lobia should be soft enough and when pressed with your fingers, it should get mashed easily. Check the lobia once its done. If you want to have less gravy or curry, you could reduce the water content by cooking without the lid for some more time.
- Garnish with chopped green coriander and serve with rice and raita.
Tips for making lobia curry Punjabi style: