Punjabi lobia masala is made by frying tomato-onion masala gravy on slow heat.Black eyed beans curry tastes best when served hot with rice and salad.
Serves : 4
Preparation time : 30 minute
1 cup lobia (black eyed beans)
3 tbsp oil
1 green chili
4-5 cloves of garlic
2 tsp ginger (chopped)
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 inch piece of cinnamon
1/2 tsp pepper powder
2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp red chili powder
4 cups of water
1/2 tsp cream
2 tsp coriander leaves (finely chopped)
Salt to taste
Preparation of lobia masala:
- Wash and soak the lobia in luke warm water for 4-5 hours.
- Drain and pressure cook soaked lobia for 2-3 whistles adding enough water and a pinch of salt.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in kadai, add ginger, garlic , green chili and onion. Saut� till onions are soft and a raw smell disappears.
- Add tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turn pulpy and cooked well.
- Cool all the ingredients and grind to a fine paste adding little water to it.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a kadai; add bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon and cumin seed. When cumin seed starts to sputter add the above grinded gravy along with pepper powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt. Saute till gravy is dry and little dark in color.
- Add the boiled lobia to the gravy along with little water and mix all the ingredients well. Let it cook for 9-10 minutes till the gravy thickens.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and cream.
- Serve hot with chapatti.