Chana Masala is the most popular and most commonly ordered dish in the Punjabi menu. It is the life of any wedding, family get togethers and parties. Punjabi chana masala is very delicious and spicy recipe, made with chickpeas with onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, green chilies and other spices. To give it a typical Punjabi flavor chana masala is added with tamarind chutney. Learn how to make punjabi chana masala restaurant style by following this easy recipe.
Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs + 7 hrs Soaking
Serves: 2 – 3
1 cup Chickpeas
5 tbsp of Oil
2 tsp garlic (minced)
2 tsp ginger (finely chopped)
2 green chili (finely chopped)
2 onions (paste)
2 tomatoes (paste)
1 tbsp Tamarind Paste
Pinch of baking soda
Pinch of Asafeotida
1/2 tsp Cumin Seed
1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tbsp Coriander Powder
1 tbsp Cumin Powder
1 tbsp Chana Masala
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 tbsp Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
2-3 green chilies (slit from middle)
Salt to taste
How to make chana masala :
- Wash the dry chickpeas and soak them in a big bowl with three cups of water or alteast 1 inch above the top of the chickepeas. The chickpeas tend to saok up all the water. Keep them overnight or 6 – 8 hours.
- Pressure cook the soaked chickpeas with a pinch of baking soda and salt for 5-6 whistles or till done.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan; add cumin seeds and asafeotida.
- When seeds start to splatter add green chili, ginger and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minute till the raw smell goes off.
- Then add onion paste and sauté till onions are translucent. Add tomatoe paste along with coriander powder, cumin powder, chana masala, garam masala. Mix all the ingredients well and cook till tomatoes are tender and mixed properly with other ingredients.
- When the masala starts to leave the sides add the chickpeas. Stir well and cover and cook for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Mix tamarind paste and stir well.
- Add 1/2 cup of hot water if chickpeas look too dry and simmer further for 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle garam masala over it. Keep the lid on for 15 mins for the chickpeas to absorb all the flavours.
- Now dish out the chana masala and garnish with coriander leaves or ginger juliennes.
- Punjabi chana masala goes well with jeera rice pulao, naan, tandoori roti and green chutney with salad.