Here is an easy Punjabi chicken curry in pressure cooker. This is the most rustic chicken curry I have personally ever come across. This is a Perfect punjabi chicken curry for beginners. This chicken curry is made generally on a daily basis in Punjabi houwseholds. Nothing fancy and tricky about it. It requires very few ingredients and tastes awesome with tandoori roti and laccha onions or even with jeera rice. It goes well with all kinds of Punjabi dishes and recipes. The amazing red color of this Punjabi chicken curry makes it a beauty. Try out this easy and simple Punjabi chicken curry in pressure cooker.
Serves : 3- 4
Total Time: 1hr
Ingredients for Punjabi chicken curry:
- 1/2 kg Chicken Curry Cut
- 2 medium Onion finely chopped
- 2 medium Tomato finely chopped
- 1 tblsp Ginger finely chopped
- 5 – 6 Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tblsp Ginger-Garlic paste
- 1 – 2 Green Chillies Slit
- 1 tblsp Thick Curd
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera Seeds)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 – 3 Cloves (Laung)
- 1/2 ” Cinnamom (Dalchini)
- 1 – 2 Big Black Cardamom
- 1 tsp Kashimiri Red Chilly (For Color)
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- 1 tsp Corainder Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Kasori Methi
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 tblsp Ghee / Oil
- 1 tblsp chopped fresh coriander
How to make Punjabi chicken curry in pressure cooker:
- Marinate the chicken with salt, thick curd, ginger garlic pastecand lemon juice. Cover it and keep it aside for minimum 1 hr. You can marinate it for longer period too. But remember to keep it ouside the fridge for 30 mins before you use it in the chicken curry.
- For the curry, heat ghee/oil in a pressure cooker, add the whole spices – bay leaf, slightly broken big black cardamom, cloves and cinnamom.
- Then add the jeera seeds. When they begin to splutter and release the aroma, lower the flame add the finely chopped onion. Keep sauteing it till the onions become light brown in color.
- Now add the chopped ginger and garlic. Let this also cook for some time. Till the raw smell disappears and both become slightly brown in color.
- That this point add the kashmiri red chilly powder and add the finely chopped tomato.
- Let the tomatoes cook on slow flame till the oil is released.
- Then add marinated chicken pieces.
- Mix well and let the chicken for just a minute. Once the chicken begins to release the water add slit green chillies, coriander powder and half of garam masala powder.
- Add 1 – 2 cups of warm water depending upon the desired consistency. Also add salt to taste.
- Now close the pressure cooker lid and let 2 whistles come. The number of whistles depend upon the type of chicken. For me 2 whistles were good enough and the chicken was well done.
- Once the pressure releases, add crushed fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) and fresh chopped coriander leaves.
- Your easy Punjabi chicken curry is ready. Serve it hot with tandoori roti, laccha onions and green chilly.