Here is the collection of popular onam recipes and food. Onam cooking is delicious and tasty.
Onam, also known as Thiruonam, is celebrated in the Malayalam month of Chingam, which corresponds to the lunar month of Bhadrapad. Onam is the most important secular festival of Kerala, enjoyed by Hindus, Muslims and Christians alike.
Celebration: The festivities commence 10 days before Onam. The whole of Kerala puts on a jovial show for the reception of Bali so that he may rejoice, seeing his people happy. Two square pyramids representing Vishnu and Bali are erected in courtyards and worshipped with offerings of flowers, fruits and other auspicious food products.
Every home is embellished with floral decorations called pookkalam.
Onam sadhya is a huge vegetarian food fare which can include 15 - 20 dishes and is served on banana leaf. Here is a Onam dishes list.
3. Pulissery or Moru Curry (Spiced buttermilk curry with coconut base)
4. Avial (Mixed Vegetables in Coconut curry)
5. Olan (Ashgourd with black beans in coconut curry)
6. Banana Chips (Kaaya Varuthatha)
7. Yam Chips (Chena Varuthatha)
8. Sarkara Upperi (Banana Chips coated with jaggery)
9. Puli Inji (Ginger, tamarind and jaggery chutney)
10. Kichadi (Yogurt with spiced gourd)
11. Pachadi (Yougurt based curry with pineapple)
12. Thoran (Dry Vegetable )
13. Kootu Curry (Curried black chickpeas)
14. Erissery (Mashed beans and pumpkin with coconut )
15. Spiced buttermilk
17. Boiled Red Rice
18. Mango Pickle
19. Pazham Pradhaman (Banana Pudding in Jaggery Sauce)
20. Palada Pradhaman
21. Paal Payasam (Rice Milk Pudding)
22. Semiya Payasam
Welcome the spirit of Onam festival and enjoy the traditional Onam Sadhya delicacies. We have to tried to gather few of the Onam special recipes for you.