The preferred dish in South India cuisine consisting of dal and vegetables such as, brinjal, drum-stick, bitter gourd (pavakkai), ladies finger etc
2 cup Sambhar (Tuvar) Dal
1/4 kg Vegetables( Drumstick,Green Pepper,Eggplant,Okra)
1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
3 Red chillies
3 Green chillies
1 tsp Sambhar powder
a pinch Hing
1 tsp Salt
2 tsp Mustard
1/4 tsp Tamarind paste
4 tbsp Cooking oil
How to make sambar:
- Wash and dice all the vegetables.
- Boil water and cook the dal with turmeric and salt.
- Separate the cooked dal and water, and keep them aside.
- In thuvar dal water cook the vegetables..
- After the veggies are cooked, add tamarind paste.
- Now add the cooked thuvar dal and simmer for a few more minutes
- Heat some oil in a pan, splutter mustard, then add methi, red chillies, green chillies, curry leaves, hing, turmeric, and sambhar powder and keep frying for a few minutes.
- Season the sambhar with the above prepared tadka.
- Sprinkle coriander on top.