Pindi chole recipe is one of the easiest Punjabi recipe that can be in a jiffy. Pindi chana masala is a very popular dish from Rawalpindi Pakistan. What’s amazing about this chole recipe is that it is made without onion garlic and tomatoes. Yes you read it correct. And this the best part is they taste exceptionally yummy and goes beautifully with bhature, poori, kulcha or even with plain paratha. Pindi chole are delicious, protein packed and fuss free dish. Dry mango powder and pomegranate seeds are main ingredients in this Pindi Chole recipe.
To read this recipe in Hindi – पिंडी छोले रेसिपी इन हिंदी
Pindi Chole Recipe
- Kadai / Pan
- Chickpeas (Chole)
- Anardana (Pomegranate Seeds)
- 1 cup Chickpeas ( Kabuli Chana)
- 2 Tea Bag
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
Potli Masala (To be tied in a muslin cloth)
- 1 tsp Amla Pieces
- 2 Brown Cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
- 2 – 3 Cloves (Laung)
- 1 ” Cinnamom Stick
- 1 Bay Leaf (Tej Patta)
- 2 -3 Green Cardamom (Chotti Elaichi)
To be dry Roasted :
- 1 tblsp Pomegranate Seeds
- 1 tblsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tblsp Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Ajwain (Carom Seeds)
- 1 tsp Amchoor Powder (dry mango powder)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Black Salt (Kala Namak)
- 1/4 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
- 1 tsp Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves )
- 2 inch Ginger chopped matchstick
- Salt To Taste
- 1/4 cup Ghee
- 1 /4 cup Oil
- Lemon wedges
- 1 tbslp finely chopped coriander leaves
How to Make Pindi Chole :
- Wash and soak chole/ chickpeas in water overnight or for about 8 hrs.
- In case you forgot to soak the chole overnight, soak them in hot water for 2 hrs covered.
- In a pressure cooker, put overnight soaked chole, salt, potli masala tied in a muslin cloth, teabags, baking soda. Add 4 cups of water and put on the lid. On high flame cook the chole for 6 – 7 whistle.
- If you do not have tea bags you can use 1 tsp tea leaves tied in cheesecloth just like potli masala.
- Switch off the flame and let the pressure release on its own. In case you do not wish to add baking soda then give additional 3 – 4 whistles.
- Meanwhile dry roast on low flame all ingredients under to be Roasted Section. Keep stirring constantly to make sure you do not burn them. Otherwise chana will taste bitter. When it cools down grind it to a fine masala.
- When the pressure releases from the cooker naturally, remove all the amla, tea leaves and dry khada masala (Whole Spices). Strain the chole in a separate vessel but DO NOT THROW AWAY THE WATER. This reserved water will be used later.
- Now in a separate big bowl add the boiled chana, 2 tblsp of dry roasted and grinded masala, coriander powder, garam masala, mango powder, black salt, hing, crushed kasoori methi and red chilly powder. Mix well to coat every chana. Add the slit chillies and ginger. Keep it aside for 1/2 hour.
- Next in a kadai preferably Iron Kadhai to get that dark black color, heat the oil and ghee together and then add the chole mixture prepared earlier. At this stage add some the reserved boiled chole water and mix it gently. Now on low flame keep cooking the chole and adding the boiled chole water in batches to get that semi thick consistency.
- Let it simmer on low heat until the oil separates and you get the right consistency.
- To get more darker color leave the cooked chole in the iron kadhai for longer time.
- Now dish out the pindi chana in a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves, onion and tomato slices and shredded ginger and lemon wedges.
- Rawalpindi style pindi chole recipe is ready.
What To Serve With Pindi Chana :
They taste great with Kulcha, Bhatura, Poori or Plain Paratha. Along with fried aloo, fried green chilly and big glass of mithi Lassi to counter the spiciness of the pindi chole.
Storage Tips :
Cool down the chole and transfer them to a storage container. You can store them upto 1 month.
Reheating Tips :
To reheat, heat a pan add ghee in it and 1 tablespoon of water and then add the quantity of chole needed. Let them simmer for 10 mins. Garnish them with chopped coriander and onion slices. They are as good as fresh ones.