Matar ki chaat is a popular North Indian chaat which is served with kulcha. Learn how to make matar chaat. Matar chaat is made of dried peas, potatoes and chopped onion and tomatoes.
- 2 cups pre-soaked sukhe matar (dried whole peas)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Tamarind chutney
- Green chutney
- 2 potatoes (boiled, peeled and chopped)
- 1 large onion (finely chopped), optional
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- 1 small cucumber (peeled and chopped)
- Lemon juice
Chaat Spices :
- Salt to taste
- Pounded or ground red chilies
- Garam masala powder
- Black salt (kala namak)
- Ground roasted cumin (jeera)
How to make matar ki chaat :
- Place dried peas in a saucepan and add sufficient water to cover them.
- Stir in the soda and asafoetida powder and cook over a moderate heat for about 15 minutes until the peas are tender. You can also pressure cook them. Drain.
- Serve individually taking 2 scoops of cooked peas and cover with little chopped onions, cucumber. tomatoes and potatoes. Sprinkle with spices to individual taste. Pour a little tamarind & green chutney and lemon juice on the top.
- Toss well and serve matar ki chaat.