- 340gms smooth-skinned Lemons
- 2tbsp salt
- 1/2tsp Fennel seeds (crushed)
- 1/2tsp Cumin seeds (crushed)
- 1/2tsp cracked black pepper
- 1cup shredded jaggery (gur)
- 1/3cup fresh Lemon juice
How To Make Lemon Pickle:
- Wash and thoroughly dry the lemons.
- Set them in sun or air dry in oven for 5 minutes.
- Slice each one lengthwise into 8 pieces.
- Combine the salt, fennel seeds, cumin seeds and black pepper in a small bowl and mix well.
- Arrange a layer of citrus, cut side up, in a jar. Sprinkle with the salt spice mixture. Alternate the two ingredients until the jar is full.
- Combine the jaggery with the citrus juice in a small saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Cool to Luke warm then pour over the citrus in the jar.
- Cool to room temperature and cover with a cloth.
- Set in the sun every day for 5 weeks; bring the jar inside every night.
- Shake the jar 2-3 times in a day.
- After 5 weeks do not set it in the sun, but continue to shake for another 2 weeks before use.