Chicken tikka masala is a highly loved desi dish across the world. Very popular amongst non vegetarians. Chicken tikka is served with silky smooth tomato onion gravy. It is super easy dish which can be made at home with simple ingredients. You can either grill the tikkas or air fry them. The succulent tikkas in the gravy makes it divine.
Indian Chicken Tikka Masala Gravy
- Air Fryer
- Tandoori Masala
- Fenugreek Leaves
- Chicken Masala
Ingredients for Chicken Tikka Masala
For The Marinade:
- 1/2 kg Boneless Chicken Pieces
- 1/2 Cup Hung Curd / Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Mustard Oil / Vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp crushed Kasoori Methi (Dry Fenugreek Leaves)
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder (for color)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 tbsp Tandoori Masala
- Salt to taste
Ingredients For the Chicken Tikka Masala Gravy / Sauce:
- 7 – 8 large Diced Red Ripe Tomatoes
- 3 – 4 large Cut onions.
- 2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tblsp Watermelon Seeds
- 1 tblsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Punjabi Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Kasoori Methi
- 1 tbsp Chicken Masala (any good brand available)
- 1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chilly Powder
- 2 tbsp Butter of choice
- 6 – 8 tblsp Cooking Oil
- Salt to taste
How to Make Chicken Tikka :
- Whisk all of the ingredients in Marinade section together in a large bowl. Give the pieces a good rub. Cover and set aside to marinate for atleast an hour or marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- You can now air fry the marinated chicken pieces at 180 C for 10 – 12 mins. Turn them over after 8 mins or when a dry layer begins to form on the pieces.
- Alternatively, You can use the oven. Preheat the oven to 250 C. Then roast the chicken at 180 C for 20 minutes, basting with butter twice. Drain excess marinade.
How to Make Chicken Tikka Gravy :
- Soak the watermelon seeds for 30 mins in lukewarm water. Later drain the water and make a paste. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a large kadhai / pan.
- Now add the chopped onions and fry them till translucent.
- Then add diced tomatoes, green chillies and ginger – garlic paste.
- Cook till the tomatoes become mushy and the raw smell of ginger garlic disappears. Now swich off the flame. And let them cool.
- Later in a large blender, make a fine paste of the onion tomato paste and the water melon seeds paste.
- Heat the remaining oil in kadhai.
- Add kashmiri red chilly powder. This will give nice red color to the gravy. Stir once and then immediately add the tomato onion paste to it.
- Now add the coriander powder, punjabi garam masala, chicken masala powder, salt and red chilli powder.
- Let it cook on max till the water evaporates and it takes a sauce form and the gravy release some oil on the sides.
- Now turn the flame to low and add the crushed kasoori methi. At this point you may adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding water as desired. Cover and let the gravy simmer for about 10 mins.
- Later add grilled tikkas. Cook for another 5 mins for the tikkas to get smeared in masala. Switch off the flame and let the chicken rest for 30 mins. This will add flavor to the chicken tikka masala.
- Now transfer the chiken tikka to a serving bowl and garnish with some beaten cream and crushed kasoori methi.
What To Serve With Chicken Tikka Masala:
Chicken Tikka Masala is generally served with Tandoori Naan, Garlic Naan, Sirke Wale Pyaz, Restaurant Style Green Chutney.
Storage Tips :
You can store chicken tikka masala for 2 – 3 months in deep freezer and in fridge it can stay good for 2 – 3 days.
Reheating Tips :
First thaw the chicken tikka masala. To reheat simply heat some water in a pan, when it begins to bubble take out the desired quantity and let the gravy simmer for 10 – 15 mins. It is important to cook on slow flame otherwise the chicken pieces will be cold from inside. If using microwave, put it in a microwave proof dish and heat for 10 – 15 mins.