Butter chicken is slightly sweet and sour. Restaurant style Indian butter chicken has tomato and cashewnut based gravy garnished with butter and cream. Authentic butter chicken is a very high calorie dish yet very very tasty.
Serves : 2
Cooking time : 50 mins
- 300 gms Chicken breast boneless
- 1 -2 tsp hung thick curd
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp tandoori masala
- 1/4 tsp tandoori color
- 2 tblsp Butter
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 green chilly sliced
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chilly powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 6 or 1/2 kg Tomato
- 10 Cashewnuts
- 1 Big tblsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tblsp Cream
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp fenugreek crushed
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- In a bowl take all the ingredients under the marinate head and the chicken pieces.The chicken pieces should be 1″ inch in size. Mix well and keep aside for atleast 2 – 3 hrs
- Blanch, peel and puree the tomatoes. Keep aside.
- Soak the cashewnuts for 2 – 3 hrs in hot water and then strain and grind the cashewnuts into a fine paste.
- For the curry heat the pan and add butter and immediately add the garlic paste.
- Now add the sliced green chilly. Also add cumin powder, red chilly powder and salt. Add 1 tblsp water and mix well.
- Add the tomato puree and cook till the gravy leaves the side.
- Lower the flame and add the cashewnut paste and stir constantly.
- Now add the tomato ketchup, sugar and 1/4 cup water.
- Meanwhile in a separate pan shallow fry the marinated chicken pieces for 4 – 5 minutes. If overcooked then the chicken will get hard and stiff. Keep aside.
- Once the gravy comes to a boil add the chicken pieces. And cook for a minute.
- Now lower the flame add the milk and stir well. Cook for another minute and then add the cream. Mix well
- Now add the garam masala and crushed fenugreek leaves. Mix well.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves, crushed fenugreek leaves and swirls of cream.
- Restaurant style Indian butter chicken is ready to be served with naan or tandoori roti. Authentic butter chicken is a very high calorie dish yet very very tasty. So dig in
- Milk should be at room temperature before adding to the gravy.
- Add milk and cream at low flame only.
- Add the garam masala only at the end.