A finger licking good Chicken Shahi korma which is a must try for beginners and pro in Indian cooking. It’s spice level is pretty mild but you can add more chillies and making it more fiery. It is a fantastically easy Chicken Shahi Korma english style recipe which is just perfect for Party get togethers and potlucks. Als the ingredients used in this korma are generally avaialble in the Indian kitchens nothing extra ordinary is needed. A totally no fuss chicken recipe.
Shahi Chicken Korma | Murgh Shahi Korma With Coconut and Poppy Seeds
- Heavy Bottom Kadai / Pan
- Mixer Grinder
- Chicken on Bone
- Almonds & Cashewnuts
- Poppy Seeds
- Dessicated Coconut
- 4 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Freshly grounded Green Cardamom Powder
- 2 tsp Ginger-Garlic-Green Chilly Paste
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- Salt to taste
- 3 tblsp Ghee / Vegetable Oil
- 2-3 drops Kewra Essence (Optional)
- Few strands of Saffron (optional)
- 700 gms Chicken on Bone
- 1/2 cup Thick Curd
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Garam Masala / Biryani Masala
- 1 tsp Chilly Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp lime juice
For Ground Masala
- 2 Onions chopped roughly
- 8-10 Ground Almonds Paste
- 8-10 Cashew Nuts Paste
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds (khus khus)
- 2 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
- 2 tbsp water or milk to make a paste
- 1 tblsp Fresh Cream
- Coriander (finely chopped)
- Roasted Cashew Bits
How to Make Shahi Chicken Korma :
- Take a bowl and mix together all the ingredients under the marination section.
- Rub the chicken pieces nicely with all the masala.
- Keep covered in the refrigerator for atleast an hour or preferably overnight. Overnight marination definitely raises the flavor to the next level.
- Soak the almonds, cashewnuts and poppy seeds in 2 tblsp of water for 2 hours.
- Next when boil the onions with 2 tblsp of water. The onions should become soft but should not change the color. Keep aside for later use.
- Now grind the boiled onions, soaked nuts and seeds and dessicated coconut into a semi smooth mixture using little water or milk. The paste should be really smooth for this rich creamy texture of the gravy.
- In a kadai, add ghee/ oil, add whole garam masalas. Stir fry for 1 mins.
- Next add in the ginger-garlic- green chilly paste, cook till rawness goes.
- Then add the ground paste, chilly, turmeric powder & garam masala. Stir well.
- Next add in marinated chicken & salt.
- Now cover and cook till oil separates. Adjust the salt & spice levels if required. If the masala begins to stick to the base then add 1/2 cup of hot water. Do not add cold water.
- Check on the doneness of the chicken.
- Once the right consistency is attained add kewra essence and few strands of saffron. Also sprinkle green cardamom powder. Stir nicely and let the chicken korma rest for 15 – 20 mins. By then the curry will absorb the spices and kewra flavor.
- Later at the time of serving garnish with coriander leaves & roasted cashew bits and add a swirl of fresh cream !!
Side dish Options – What To Serve With Shahi Chicken Korma :
Storage Tips :
- Shahi chicken korma stays well for 1 -2 days in refrigerator but would not recommend to store it beyond 2 days. There is a high probability of its getting spoilt.
- If you are storing it in deep freezer then it can stay good for over a month.
Reheating Tips :
Microwave: Take out the shahi korma in a microwave proof dish and micro it for 5 mins and after 2 mins flip it upside down.
Stovetop: To reheat it on gas stove, heat 2 tblsp of water or butter in pan. kadhai and then add shahi chicken korma. Lower the flame and let it simmer for 10 – 12 mins. Keep stirring it occasionally to make sure the gravy does not get burnt.