Here is a very easy to make massor dal recipe. Sabut Masoor Dal has the tadka of garlic which makes it very aromatic. Learn how to make sabut masoor dal.
- 1 cup sabut masoor dal
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 – 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tblsp Ghee/ oil
- 4 – 5 pods garlic, separated, chopped finely
- 1 inch ginger root, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, chopped
How to make sabut masoor dal:
- Rinse the sabut masoor dal thoroughly, until water is clear. It is advisable to soak the dal for 2 – 3 hrs as it reduces the cooking time.
- In a pressure add masoor dal, 3 – 3.5 cups of water, chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt.
- After 2 – 3 whistles cook on low flame for about 10 minutes. Then switch off the flame.
- When you open the cooker the dal should be a pulpy mixture. If required add more water to keep the dal loose, like texture of thick cream.
- If using a pan then cook the dal with the other ingredients for 30 hrs till the dal turns soft and pulpy. Stir occassionally.
- Now for the tadka heat ghee in a wok. When ghee is hot, add jeera and when it begins to sputter add chopped garlic.
- Continue to fry until garlic is fully cooked. Add garam masala and chilly powder.
- Do not allow spices to burn. Keep stirring until mixture starts to stick. And immediately pour this over the cooked dal.
- Stir nicely and let it simmer to blend in the flavors. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Garnish the sabut masoor dal with chopped coriander.