Lal masoor ki dal is very easy, quick to prepare dal / lentil recipe. It is very popular in the Punjabi community. Lal masoor ki dal is generally made in punjabi homes and rarely found in any restaurant menu. It goes best with steamed rice or tandoori roti and green salad. Lets learn how to make lal masoor ki dal.
Serves : 3- 4
Total Time: 30 mins
- 1 cup Masoor Dal (Pink Lentil)
- 1 small Onion
- 1″ inch Ginger
- 4 – 5 Garlic Pod
- 1 medium Tomato
- 1 – 2 tblsp Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 1 tblsp Desi Ghee (Clarified Butter) / Oil
How to make lal masoor ki dal at home:
- Wash the dal and boil the dal with turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water in either a pressure cooker or in a pan till done.
- If using pressure cooker cook on high until one whistle. Remove from heat. Let the pressure release automatically.
- Meanwhile chop the onions, garlic, ginger and tomatoes.
- Once the pressure releases blend the dal well with the help of a ladle. Add hot water to thin down if required.
- In a small tadka pan, heat the ghee and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds begin to crackle add the chopped onions and garlic and ginger.
- Stir fry enough that the garlic gets brown completely. This adds intense garlicky flavour to the masoor dal.
- Add the red chilly powder. Cook for 10 seconds.
- Pour the hot tempering on top of the cooked daal.
- Add the chopped coriander. Stir. Keep covered till served.
- Your masoor dal is ready to be relished with steamed rice, roti, papad and salad.