PINDI CHANA RECIPE
1 cup chickpeas ( kabuli chana)
1 tea bag or 1 tbsp black tea leaves tied in a cheesecloth
21/2-inch ginger, 3/4th of it shredded finely for garnish
2-3 tbsp oil
2 onions chopped
2 tsp garlic, finely crushed
2 green chilies, sliced
3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 - 1tsp red chili powder or as per taste
Salt To Taste
1/2 tsp garam masala
finely chopped coriander leaves
How to make pindi chole:
- Soak Chole in water overnight or for about 6 hr.
- Cook the chole with salt and enough water in the cooker for about
20 minutes or till fully done.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid.
- Finely chop the remaining ginger. Heat oil and sauté
onions till golden, then add garlic and chopped ginger and green
chilies. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili powder and
sauté over low heat until the oil separates.
- Add chole, the reserved cooking liquid, salt and half of the
coriander leaves. Simmer, uncovered until the liquid has been
- Add a pinch of garam masala and serve pindi chana sprinkled with
the remaining garam masala, coriander leaves and shredded ginger.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...