PINDI CHANA RECIPE
Pindi chana or pindi chole are usually dark black and dry. This recipe is a gift from Rawalpindi. Pindi chana are best served with either puri or bhature.
Serves : 4
Total time : 1 hr + soaking time
1 cup chickpeas ( kabuli chana)
1 tea bag
2 Brown Cardamom (Badi Elaichi)
2 - 3 Cloves (Laung)
1 " Cinnamom Stick
2 -3 Green Cardamom (Chotti Elaichi)
1 tbsp Ghee
1 tblsp oil
1 tblsp Pomegranate Seeds
1 tblsp Cumin Seeds
2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp amchoor pwd (dry mango pwd)
1/2 - 1 tsp red chili powder
Salt To Taste
1/2 tsp garam masala
2 inch ginger shredded finely
1 onions Sliced
1 tomato sliced
Finely chopped coriander leaves
How to make pindi chana:
- Soak chole/ chickepeas in water overnight or for about 6 hrs.
- Cook the chole with salt, green cardamom, brown cardamom, cinnamon stick, tea bag, cloves and enough water in the cooker for about 20 minutes or till fully done.
- Meanwhile dry roast pomegranate and cumin seeds and when slightly warm grind into a fine powder. Make sure you do not burn them. Otherwise chana will taste bitter.
- Separate the water, reserve the cooking liquid. Also remove the tea bags and other whole spices.
- In a big bowl add the boiled chana, dry roasted pomegranate and cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, mango powder and red chilly powder. Mix well to coat every chana. Add the slit chillies and ginger.
- In a kadai heat the oil and ghee together to a smoking point and then add the chole mixture. Add the cooking liquid to get the desired consistency. Mix well.
- Let it simmer on low heat until the oil separates stir occasionally.
- Dish out the chana in a serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves, onion and tomato slices and shredded ginger and lemon wedges.
- Rawalpindi style pindi chana is ready and can be served.
- Note: 1. To get a deep dark color in chole you can add few slices of dried amla.
2. In case you forgot to soak the chole overnight, soak them in hot water for 2 hrs covered.
3. Instead of tea bags you can use 1 tsp tea leaves tied in cheesecloth.