MASOOR DAL RECIPE
1 cup whole masoor dal
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
2 - 3 medium tomatoes
1/3 cup oil
1 onion, chopped
4 - 5 pods garlic, separated, chopped finely
1 inch ginger root, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
1 bunch coriander, chopped
- Rinse the massor dal thoroughly, until water is clear. It is advisable to soak the dal for 2 - 3 hrs as it reduces the cooking time.
- In a pressure add massor dal, 3 - 3.5 cups of water, chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt.
- After 2 - 3 whistles cook on low flame for about 10 minutes. Then switch off the flame.
- When you open the cooker the dal should be a pulpy mixture. If required add more water to keep the dal loose, like texture of thick cream.
- If using a pan then cook the dal with the other ingredients for 30 hrs till the dal turns soft and pulpy. Stir occassionally.
- Now for the tadka heat oil in wok. When oil is hot, add onions and cook until tender and translucent but not browned.
- Add garlic, ginger and chillies. Continue to fry until garlic is flly cooked. Add garam masala and chilly powder.
- Do not allow spices to burn. Keep stirring until mixture starts to stick. And immediately pour this over the cooked dal.
- Stir nicely and let simmer to blend in the flavors. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...