MASOOR DAL RECIPE
2 cups masoor dal
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
1 1/2 onions, chopped
1 head garlic, separated, chopped
1 (1-inch piece) ginger root, chopped
2 jalapeno chiles, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 bunch coriander, chopped
- Rinse massor dhal thoroughly, until water is clear. In pot bring
1 quart water to boil. Add massor daal.
- Cook half way, about 10 to 15 minutes, add 1/2 teaspoon garam
masala, 1/2 teaspoon turmeric and salt. As massor dhal cooks,
uncovered, water will evaporate and mixture will thicken.
- Add more water to keep dal loose, like texture of thick cream.
When dal is soft, turn off heat. Heat oil in wok. When oil is very
hot, add onions and cook until tender and translucent but not
- Add garlic, ginger and chiles. Continue to fry until onions are
deep-yellow. Add remaining 1 teaspoon each garam masala and
- Do not allow spices to burn. Keep stirring until mixture starts
to stick. Add tomatoes and cilantro. Cook until tomato softens.
- Pour in pot of masoor dal and simmer to blend flavors. Taste and
add more salt if needed.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...