VANKAYA PACHADI RECIPE
A very spicy pachadi or chutney used a food accompaniment made with eggplants and tomatoes.
For the Chutney
3 tsp oil
2 pieces Eggplants, chopped
2 pieces ripe Tomatoes, chopped
5 green chilies, chopped
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
1 tsp mustard seeds (rai dana)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
3tsp dry coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
8-9 dry whole red chilies
Small ball of tamarind
Salt to taste.
For the Tadka
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
A small bunch of curry leaves
How to make vankaya pachadi:
- First of all, soak the ball of tamarind in a cup of water.
- Now heat oil in a pan and let splutter for half a minute the fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry coriander seeds and whole red chilies.
- Take this off the heat, let it cool and grind into a paste.
- Now in the same remaining oil, fry the chopped eggplants, tomatoes and green chilies.
- Take aside and grind this also in a paste.
- You should now slowly mix both the pastes uniformly
- Now take the tamarind ball and mix with water evenly.
- Once done, sieve this entire tamarind paste to take of any seeds and get a smooth tamarind water.
- Now mix this tamarind water and salt in the previously made mixture of tomatoes, eggplants and spices.
- Once this is done, you should again heat oil in a small pan and put the mustard seeds, garlic and curry leaves in it and let it splutter.
- Add this tadka to the chutney and serve with rice or the main food.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...