Besan dhokla is a Gujarati snack. Being steamed besan dhokla is healthy and nutritious. It is a thick fermented gram flour and yogurt batter steamed till it is like a soft fluffy pillow. Cooled, cut into squares tempered with mustard seeds and garnished with fresh coriander and scraped coconut. It is the Pride of Gujarat. Here is the recipe of dhokla in English.
Ingredients of Dhokla:
- 1 cup Bengal gram flour (Besan)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Ginger paste (Adrak)
- 1 tsp Green chilli paste
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 180 ml water, or as required to make a batter
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (haldi)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp (heaped) Eno fruit salt (Plain)
For the tempering:–
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds (Rai)
- 1/2 tsp Asafetida (Hing)
- 9-10 Curry leaves (Kadipatta)
- 2-3 tbsp Freshly scrapped coconut (Optional)
- 2-3 tbsp Fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Red chilli powder to sprinkle
How to make Gujarati dhokla recipe in English:
- In a mixing bowl take the besan. Add the sugar, oil, ginger-chilli paste, lemon juice, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Add in the water slowly to form a pouring batter, without lumps.
- Keep this batter aside for 10 minutes.
- Grease the vessel in you want to steam it in with oil. (you canuse the vessel provided with the pressure cooker).
- Steam in a pressure cooker without whistle.
- Keep the cooker on flame with water in its bottom for steaming ready.
- Add the eno fruit salt in the batter and mix well. It will become frothy.
- Now from here you need to act fast. Pour the batter in the greased vessel/plate and keep it in the pressure cooker and close the lid without the whistle.
- Steam it for 10-15 minutes maximum without putting on the whistle on a medium flame.
- When done off the flame and remove the vessel out and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Invert it on a plate and cut into squares.
- Make the tempering. Heat oil. When the oil is hot enough add the mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Off the flame. Add the Asafetida and curry leaves and keep aside to cool.
- Put the cooled tempering on the ready dhokla’s.
- Garnish them with freshly scrapped coconut, chopped coriander and sprinkle red chilli powder and serve.