Mutton Achari Punjabi style is a very unique mutton recipe where in the punjabi pickle masala is used to prepare the gravy which gives a tangy flavour to the dish. Learn how to make mutton achari.
500 gms mutton
3 Onions grated
2 tblsp Garlic Paste
1 tblsp Ginger Paste
3 – 4 Green Chillies
1/2 cup whisked Curd (Dahi)
1 tblsp Vinegar (Sirka)
1/2 tsp Ajwain Seeds
1/2 tsp Nigella Seeds (Kalonji)
1 tsp Kashmirti Red Chilli Powder (Deghi)
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
2-3 Bay Leaf
1 Black Cardamom
2 Cloves (Laung)
4 tblsp Mustard Oil
Salt to taste
For Achar Masala
1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds (Methidana)
1 tsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
1 tsp Mustard Seeds (rai)
4 Dried Red Chillies
1 tsp Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
1 tblspn Coriander Seeds (Dhania)
How to make achari mutton :
- Dry roast the Achar Masala ingredients – Dry Red Chilly, Fenugreek Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Whole Coriander Seeds, Mustard Seeds and FennelSeeds lightly on a hot griddle or in a microwave. When cool grind it to a coarse powder.
- Marinate the cleaned and dry mutton pieces in whisked curd, ginger garlic paste and salt for 2 hours.
- In a heavy bottom pan heat the mustard oil and add black cardamom, cloves, bay leaf, ajwain and nigella seeds. Fry for a 30 seconds.
- When the seeds begin to sputter add the marinated mutton and let it fry till all the water released is absorbed.
- Now add the turmeric powder, red chilly powder, salt and 2 tblsp full of the grinded achari masala. Mix well so that all the mutton pieces are very well coated with the masala.
- Cook further when the masala starts to stick add the grated onion. Keep stirring occasionally and scraping the sides.
- Once the mutton is 90% done add the curd and vinegar and cook still further till the mutton is completely cooked to your desired bite.
- Now add the green chillies and little warm water to get your desired consistency.
- When the oil begins to float on top close switch off the flame and dish out Achari mutton or Gosht and serve hot with Laccha Parantha or Naan.