Chicken bhuna masala is a traitional Punjabi recipe. When this chicken is cooked the whole house is filled with its aroma. The use of freshly grounded garam masala makes it special. You can use either chicken or mutton to make this dish. Go ahead and try it. It is a wonderfully light chicken recipe because there is no use of heavy cream or cashewnuts or almonds.
Chicken Bhuna Masala
- Kadai / Pan
- Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves)
500 gms Chicken On Bone
4 – 5 large Onions roughly chopped
3 medium sized Tomatoes roughly chopped
2-3 tblsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
3-4 green chilies – roughly chopped
2 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder for color
1 tsp Red Chilly Powder
2 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Black Salt (Kala Namak)
1/2 Amchur Powder (Dry Mango Powder)
1 tsp roasted Jeera Powder (Cumin Seeds)
2 tsp Kasoori Methi Powder (Dry Fenugreek Leaves)
1/4 cup beaten Curd
Salt to taste
2 – 3 tblsp Ghee
Ingredients For Garam Masala:
- 1 tblsp Black Pepper Corns (Kali Mirch)
- 1 tblsp Green Cardamoms (Choti Elaichi)
- 1 tsp Jeera (Cumin Seeds)
- 6 – 7 Cloves (Laung)
- 4-5 Mace Blades
- 1 tblsp Black Cardamoms (Moti Elaichi)
- 5 Bay Leaves
- 2 – 3 Cinnamon Sticks
- 3 – 4 Slit Green Chilies for garnishing
- 2 tblsp finely chopped Coriander Leaves
How to Make Fresh Garam Masala :
- Lightly roast all ingredients in a pan over medium heat. Once the aroma starts to come out, put the ingredients in a grinding bowl. Grind to a fine powder. Keep in a sterilised bottle for further use.
- In a heavy botom pan / kadai, heat the ghee/oil. Now add roughly chopped onions and saute them till golden brown in color. This will take 10 – 15 mins. Do not fry on high flame. Let the onions saute on medium flame and sir it occasionally. Make sure the onions are brown but not burnt. Otherwise the curry will have bitter taste.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste and saute further till the raw smell of garlic and ginger disappears.
- Now add the kashmiri red chilly powder. Stir it in the ghee to let it release its color.
- Immediately add tomato puree, green chilies and salt.
- Continue to saute on high heat until tomato puree gets cooked. Add the dry masalas and cook till oil begins to separate.
- Lower down the heat, add beaten smooth curd and keep stirring till curd gets into the masala properly.
- Cover and cook till more oil begins to separate from the masala.
- If the masala begins to stick to the base of the kadai then keep on splashing some water.
- Now add washed chicken pieces and begin to cook on high heat for 7-8 mins.
- Add 2 tsp freshly garam masala and add little water just enough to avoid sticking of the masala. Keep the remaining garam masala for some other time. You can use it in korma, curry, and kebabs.
- Cover and cook on low flame.
- Keep stirring in between. Cook until done. Should take 10 -1 2 mins.
- Switch off the flame and transfer the chicken to the serving bowl.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and slit green chilies.
- Your bhuna chicken masala is ready.
What To Serve With Bhuna Chicken Masala :
- Main Course: Serve with any Kebab, Dal Makhani, Vegetable Biryani.
- Bread: Serve it with Plain Naan, Garlic Naan, Paratha or Roti.
- Sides: Hari Chutney, Lacche Wale Pyaz.
Storage Tips :
- Can be kept for three to four days in the refrigerator
Reheating Tips :
Microwave: Pour a little bit of water or oil to retain the moisture in the dish. Try to cover it with a microwave safe lid. Reheat it for 2 mins in microwave.
Stovetop: Keep heat low to avoid overcooking. In a pan heat up 1/2 a cup of water and when it begins to boil add the chicken pieces and let it simmer for 10 mins. Stir occasionally.