Aloo poha recipe is one of the most commonly made breakfast item in Indian homes. Batata poha or aloo poha is made of poha (beaten rice) sauted with aloo and given a tadka of curry leaves with minimum spices and no vegetables. Every household has its own recipe some like it plain salty, some prefer mildly sweet and sour. Some like to eat poha where each and every flake is separate whereas some prefer soft and mushy. The best thing is that it can be made in 10 minutes.
- Aloo (Potato)
- Curry Leaves
- 2 cups thick / medium Poha (Beaten Rice)
- 1 medium cubed Potato
- 1 medium chopped Onion
- 1/2 cup Peas fresh / frozen
- 2 Green Chilly slit
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 4 tblsp Oil
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 tblsp Sugar
- 1 tblsp fresh chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 tblsp grated coconut (optional)
- Salt to taste
How to soak Poha :
The most crucial thing while making poha is the soaking part. If poha absorbs more water the poha will turn out soggy and mushy. If too little water then poha will turn out dry and difficult to swallow. Here is the best way to soak poha.
- Take a strainer or colander and put the poha in it. Sprinkle 1 cup of water on it. While sprinling water make sure each and every flake gets wet. Leave it and do not disturb it. Meanwhile chop your potaoes and onions. After 5 minutes check by pressing one of the flakes between your fingers. If it gets mushy thats go but it still feels hard and flaky sprinkle some more water. Be careful not to overdo.
- If you feel the poha is soft then take a fork and fluff up the poha with a light hand. Do not use a spoon. Using fork ensures that the poha flakes do not get mushed. Keep aside for later use.
How to Make Poha Without Peanuts :
- First heat oil in a kadhai, add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds begin to crackle add the curry leaves.
- Now add the chopped onions. Cook the onions only till translucent and pink. Make sure that the onions do not get brown in color.
- Add the potatoes, peas, chopped green chillies and salt. Saute for few minutes. Then cover the kadhai and cook till the potatoes are done.
- Once potatoes are done add the poha, turmeric powder and sugar. Use the fork to stir the poha. Do not use the spoon.
- Once the poha and turmeric are nicely mixed.
- Keep it on slow flame for 5- 7 minutes. Then switch off the flame.
- Let it cool for sometime and then add lemon juice.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and grated coconut.
- Your aloo poha is ready.
What To Serve With Aloo Poha :
You can serve poha with besan bhujia (kind of namkeen) and green chutney. You can also salted boondi.
Storage Tips :
Pack the poha in a container. This poha can stay good for 10 – 15 days in freezer. In refrigeator the poha will spoil within 2 days.
Reheating Tips :
To reheat sprinkle some water and micowave for 10 minutes. Poha will be good as fresh.