Learn how to make curried rice or korma chawal. It is easy and simple to make.
- 4 tablespoons (60 gm) butter
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 1 piece fresh ginger, size of walnut, minced
- 3 fresh green chilies, seeded and quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups fresh vegetables in season, diced, or substitute 2 packages of frozen mixed vegetables if absolutely necessary
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander*
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin*
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (optional)*
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric*
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves for garnish
How to make korma chawal :
- In a wok or heavy skillet, heat the butter, and add the onions. Stir-fry slowly until onions begin to turn brown, but are not scorched.
- Add the ginger, the chilies, bay leaf and vegetables and stir-fry 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir constantly until the rice begins to glisten, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the dry masala. Add the stock and bring to full boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and let stand 10 minutes, being sure not to lift the cover. Then gently fluff rice with a fork, lifting from the bottom.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve
- Serves 4-6