1 cup coconut scraped
salt to taste
1 tblsp oil
5 onions sliced
1/2 inch cinnamon
6 big size mackerels (bangda) scaled
8 red chillies whole
1 tblsp coriander seeds
1 small size tamarind
6 cloves garlic
2 tsp turmeric powder
How to make mackerel masala :
- Wash and cut each mackerel into 4 pieces.
- Apply salt, then wash again after 5 minutes.
- Put the mackerels in a pot along with 3 to 4 cup water, a pinch of salt and one tsp of turmeric powder.
- Stir fry for 10 minutes.
- When the mackerels cool, de-bone and cut into small pieces.
- Heat up oil and stir-fry garlic, peppercorns, cloves and cinnamon.
- Stir-fry coriander seeds and red chillies in the same oil and drain.
- In the remaining oil stir fry the onions till dark brown.
- Grind everything the fried ingredients (except the onions) with coconut and tamarind into a fine paste.
- Mix in the ground masala and water to the browned onions and bring to a boil.
- Mix in the mackerel pieces and salt and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot.