1 medium onion
1 tsp tamarind pulp
2 tsp coriander powder
4 tblsp coconut oil
750 gms fish (pomfret)
5 cloves garlic
1 cup hot water
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
2 tblsp coconut milk
How to make mashli gashi :
- Clean and wash the fish thoroughly.
- Take off the scales, but leave the skin on.
- Halve the fish lengthwise and sprinkle half the salt on pieces.
- Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Take off and cut the onion and garlic.
- Take a wide shallow pot wide enough to hold the fish pieces in a single layer.
- Heat up oil in it over medium heat.
- Mix in the cut onions fry until they are golden, stirring frequently.
- Mix in the cut garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Mix in coriander powder, fry for1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
- Mix in the coconut milk to the spices.
- Mix in hot water.
- Mix in the tamarind pulp and remaining salt and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble the fish in the pot in a single layer and cover, simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for five minutes.
- Turn the fish over once, cover again and simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) for a further five minutes.