Thandai is a popular drink in North India. Thandai is chilled flavored milk with the goodness of cooling spices and nuts. Presenting an easy recipe of thandai for you all.
- 2 tblsp Fennel Seed (Saunf)
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Seed (Elaichi)
- 4 whole Cloves (Lavang)
- 1/2 cup blanched and chopped Almond (Badam)
- 1/4th cup chopped Pistachio (Pista)
- 1/4th cup Melon seeds
- 1/4 th cup Poppy Seeds (khus khus)
- 1/4 th cup Black peppercorns
- 2 1/2 cup Water
- 1 ltr Full fat Milk (Doodh)
- 5 tblsp Sugar
- 1/4th tsp dry-roasted and powdered Saffron (Kesar) threads
- Few dried rose petals
How to make thandai at home:
- In a small saucepan bring the water to boil .
- Add the fennel seeds, cardamom and cloves, cover, and remove from the heat.
- Set aside for ten minutes.
- Place the raisins, almonds, pistachios and melon seeds, poppy seeds in a bowl and add fennel tea.
- Cover and set aside for at least 1 hour.
- Transfer it to a blender, cover, and blend until the nuts & spices are reduced to a smooth texture.
- Pour into a strainer and set over a bowl.
- When some of liquid had drained through the sieve, gather the corners and squeeze tightly to extract the maximum liquid.
- Heat 2 tblsp of milk and add saffron.
- Combine the nut milk, saffron and remaining milk in a large jug and chill well.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve in a long glass over crushed ice and garnish with dried rose petals.