Lauki Ki Kheer is a super nutritious and easy kheer recipe. It needs very few ingredients. It can be made quicky in a jiffy. This doodhi kheer is very refreshing and soothing for the tummy. It tastes great when it is chilled. You can serve it in your navratri thali or relish it when you are Fasting. It is quite filling and delicious. Doodhi lauki is a speciality of Chatisgarh and Uttar Pradesh.
Lauki Ki Kheer | Doodhi Ki Kheer
- Heavy Bottom Kadai
- Lauki (Bottlegourd)
- 1 cup Lauki (Doodhi)(Fresh and firm)
- 2 cup Milk
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 tblsp chopped Nuts
- 1 tblsp Kishmish (Raisin)
How to Make Lauki Ki Kheer :
- The most important thing before you begin the kheer recipe is to choose a juicy, dark green firm Lauki. It should be of medium size. Do not buy very big sized lauki. Do not use old, stale or tough lauki.
- Wash and peel the lauki. Now grate the lauki with a grater. But make sure that you grate only the green part of the lauki. Leave the white part of the lauki. You can use the white part too but then the color of the lauki kheer gets dull green. To retain the bright green color discard the white part. You can use this white part in a sabji or kofta.
- Now in a heavy bottom heat the ghee and then add the grated lauki. Do not squeeze out the water from the lauki. On medium flame saute the lauki and let the water to evaporate. Keep stirring occasionally so that the lauki does not get burnt. Make sure that the lauki does not get brown in color. It should maintain its green color.
- Soon the lauki will get fried. Lower the flame and add the milk. The moment you add the milk the lauki will release its green color.
- Mix well together and let the milk cook till it begins to thickens .
- Now add the sugar, raisins and elaichi powder.
- Stir well and let it cook till you get the desired consistency. It is important to keep stirring constantly otherwise you might get burnt taste later.
- Once done remove the kadai from the flame and let it cool down a bit.
- Transfer the kheer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with chopped nuts – almonds and pista or cashewnuts.
- You can eat it warm or chilled. Keep it in fridge for 1 – 2 hours.
Storage Tips :
- You can store the lauki ki kheer for 2 days. But before you put in fridge bring it to room temperature. Never place hot kheer in the fridge.