Lauki ki burfi using milk powder is a very delicious and nutritious recipe ideal for vrats and fasts like Navratri. It is very easy to make and requires no special ingredients. Just regular ingredients found in your kitchen. This burfi is perfect for prashad or bhog. So for your next vrat or fast do try it out.
Lauki Ki Burfi With Milk Powder Without Mawa or Condensed milk
- Heavy Bottom Kadai / Pan
- Square Baking Tin
- Lauki (Bottle Gourd)
- Almonds chopped
- Milk Powder
- 1 Big Lauki (Bottlegourd) (Should be soft but firm)
- 1/2 cup Sugar (adjust the quantity according to your taste)
- 50 gms Ghee (Clarified Butter)
- 1/2 cup Milk Powder
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 Green Cardamoms (powdered)
- 10 – 12 Badam sliced (Almonds)
- 1 tsp Ghee for greasing
How to Make Lauki Ki Burfi :
- Wash and peel the lauki. Now grate ONLY the green part of the lauki. If using the whole lauki then remove all the seeds. This gives the bright green color to the burfi. You can keep the white of the lauki for making kofte or any lauki ki sabji.
- Grease the tray with ghee, in which you want to set the burfi. Keep it aside.
- In a bowl mix together milk and milk powder. Mix it well and make sure there are no lumps. Keep it aside.
- Take a heavy bottom kadai and heat the ghee and add the grated lauki.
- On medium low flame add the grated lauki and saute till the mositure evaporates. This should take 15 mins. Keep stiring constantly towards the end when the lauki is almost dry.
- Once the lauki acquires a shine then aadd the sugar and mix well.
- When the sugar begins to melt it the mixture will again begin to get fluidy. On low flame keep mixing till the water evaporates and becomes a lump.
- Now add the milk and milk powder mixture. Again cook till the moisture evaporates.
- Continue stirring and cook until it leave the sides of the kadai.
- Switch off the flame and transfer this mixture into the greased tray. Spread the mixture evenly.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts and press it gently.
- Cover and let it set for atleast 2-3 hours at room temperature or 1 hr in refrigerator.
- Cut into desired shape and serve.
Storage Tips :
- Lauki ki burfi can stay well for 1 day at room temperature and for long term storage it is better to store it in an airtight container in fridge.