Lauki ki burfi using milk powder is a very delicious and nutritious recipe ideal for vrats and fasts like Navratri. Ghiya ki burfi is packed with the goodness of lauki. Learn how to make lauki ki barfi.
1/2 kg Lauki (Bottlegourd)
100 gms Sugar
50 gms ghee (clarified butter)
100 gms khoya
50 gms milk powder
2 green cardamoms (powdered)
10 – 12 almonds (Badam)
1/2 sheet waraq (Silver sheet) (optional)
How to make lauki ki barfi with khoya:
- Peel the lauki and remove all the big seeds and then grate the lauki using medium size grater.
- Press gently and squeeze out all the extra water from the lauki otherwise the cooking time will increase.
- Now heat half the ghee in a heavy bottom kadai and put the grated lauki in it.
- On a medium flame stir fry it till all the mositure evaporates and the lauki gets slightly roasted.
- Now add sugar and on a high flame fry it till all the water evaporates. Keep stirring constantly or the mixture might burn.
- Add dry milk powder to the lauki mixture and mix well. Also add grated khoya in it.
- Cook it for 2 to 3 minutes and then add the remaining ghee. Also add cardamom powder.
- Roast it further for 5 minutes or till nice sweet aroma is released.
- Now take a small lump of the mixture and place it on a plate and see if the mixture is retaining its shape. If it is still flowing then raost the mixture further and then repeat the process.
- Once the mixture is ready grease a square tray or plate and line it with a silver foil. Pour the mixture on it and smooth it out.
- Sprinkle finely chopped almonds on it. if you have waraq smudge some of the waraq at regular some intervals.
- Let it cool for 1 hour to set.
- Later cut desired shapes – triangular or square.
- Your lauki ki burfi is ready. This burfi is ideal for vrats and fasts.