Here is an easy to make besan burfi recipe just appropriate for all occasions like Rakhi, Diwali, Holi or any festivites at home. Besan Barfi is Indian gram flour fudge with chopped nuts. To make this burfi a vegan option simply skip the milk powder. This besan barfi is rich in taste and texture. You will find it difficult to keep your hands off them. Learn how to make Indian besan burfi.
Total Time: 45 mins + 3 hrs Setting Time
Serves: 3 – 4
- 200 gms Besan (Bengal Gram )
- 200 gms Sugar (powder)
- 100 gms Ghee(clarified butter)
- 1/4 cup chopped lengthwise Pista & Almond
- 2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup Milk Powder
- 1/2 cup Water
How to make besan burfi :
- Take a wide bottom pan and heat half the ghee in it. Make sure not to over heat the ghee or the besan will burn immediately.
- Lower the flame and add the besan in it. Now keep stirring the besan constantly and cook the besan till for 15 – 20 minutes till all the raw smell dispears anda very sweet nutty smells starts coming.
- Now add the remaining ghee and cook the besan further for 5 mins. Immediately take out the besan and keep it aside.
- Now in the same vessel heat 1/2 cup of water and add sugar. Make a 1 string consistency sugar syrup of this.
- Lower the flame and add cardamom powder, half of the nuts, milk powder and cooked besan. Mix well so that there are no lumps.
- Cook this mixture till it starts leaving the sides of the pan. Switch off the flame.
- Grease a square shape dish and pour the hot mixture on it. Smooth out the mixture with the help of a knife.
- Sprinkle the remaining chopped nuts.
- Leave the burfi to set. After few hours cut into desired square or diamond shape. Besan ki burfi is ready to be eaten.