2 tblsp semolina (rava)
1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
1 pinch nutmeg powder
1 pinch salt
1 coconut grated
1/2 cup milk
pure ghee to fry
2 cup refined flour (maida)
1/2 cup sugar (for syrup)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
How to make lavang latika :
- Sieve flour.
- Mix in oil and enough water to knead into a firm dough.
- Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside.
- Bring the sugar and water to boil.
- Simmer (boil slowly at low temperature) to obtain sugar syrup of three string consistency and keep aside.
- Heat up one tsp ghee in a pot and fry the semolina till light brown.
- Mix in milk, sugar and coconut and keep stirring on a low heat up till the mixture becomes thick.
- Take off from heat.
- Mix in cardamom powder and nutmeg powder.
- Cool and divide into 12 portions.
- Divide the dough into 12 portions.
- Roll out one portion into a small puri.
- Put a little stuffing in the centre and fold the puri like an envelope.
- Stick a clove in the centre to keep it in place.
- Heat up ghee and fry the latikas on medium heat up till golden brown.
- Remove and soak them immediately in the hot sugar syrup.
- Remove and serve after a couple of hours.