For the kochuri
2 tblsp ghee
groundnut oil for deep fry
salt to taste
2 1/2 cup refined flour (maida)
For The Filling
1 inch Ginger
5 cloves Garlic
500 gms Betki Or Surmai Fish
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 1/2 tblsp Mustard Oil
1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
1/4 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Panch Phoron
Salt to taste
How to make macher kochuri :
- Sieve the flour and salt together.
- Rub in the ghee and make medium soft dough with water.
- Keep aside covered with a damp cloth.
- Grind ginger and the garlic.
- Steam the fish with turmeric and a little water.
- Take off the flesh from the bones and mash coarsely.
- Heat up mustard oil in a kadhai, mix in the ground paste and red chilli powder.
- Fry for some time.
- Mix in sugar, salt and fish.
- Fry, stirring till the mixture becomes dry.
- Mix in the panch phoron and mix well.
- Divide the dough into medium sized balls.
- Roll into thick puris.
- Put 1heaped tblsp of stuffing in the center of each puri.
- Gather the sides, make a ball once again and roll into a puri once again.
- Heat up enough oil in a karhai and deep-fry the puris one at a time.
- Serve hot.