KASI HALWA RECIPE
2 cup white pumpkin (kadhu) (grated)
4 green cardamoms
1 cup pure ghee
1 1/2 cup sugar (cheeni)
1 cup milk
saffron (kesar) a few strands
a pinch camphor (edible)
How to make kasi halwa:
- Peel, deseed and cut the pumpkin into very small cubes.
- Grind the cardamom with the 1 tablespoon sugar to a fine powder, sieve and keep aside. Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee and fry cashewnuts to golden brown and keep aside.
- Boil the remaining sugar with ¾th cup water and make syrup of one-thread consistency.
- Heat 4 tablespoons of ghee and sauté the pumpkin for a few minutes, add the saffron and the milk.
- Simmer over low heat till the pumpkin is fully cooked and the milk is absorbed totally. Stir and mash the pumpkin lightly with a wooden spatula while cooking.
- Add the syrup slowly to the pulp and continue stirring and cooking. Add the ghee little by little till it is completely absorbed.
- Sprinkle the cardamom powder and the camphor. Add the fried cashewnuts and continue cooking till the halwa starts leaving the sides of the vessel.
Looking for a Chinese meal? Or would you rather splurge on a Thai dinner? Click to find out who's serving what, where and when...